• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Sunbeam Alpine Series III-V and Tiger:Fitting a HEATED front Windscreen

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
This video shows how we fitted a HEATED front windscreen to a Series V Sunbeam Alpine. Note: There is a separate video on The Sunbeam Alpine Channel on YouTube that shows how to fit the glass (either standard or heated) into the metal windscreen frame using string.

If your windscreen needs replacing fitting a heated version is an obvious upgrade as the cost is similar to standard and the wiring and installation is a straightforward D.I.Y. job. Once fitted there is no more annoying misting and condensation on the windscreen on damp days.

Tim R

65beam

Donation Time
Dan,
Heated windshields are not available in this part of the world. I think Volkswagon tried it several years ago but dropped it due to insurance and recalls as did GM for these reasons.. I've wondered before if it's because of our required laminated windshields. The rear and side glass is not laminated like the windshield so that may be why. Anybody know why??

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
Dan,

The heated windscreen is a laminated screen with the tiny elements held in the centre of the glass sheets (presumably inside the anti-shatter film). In the UK (apart from the high end super cars) many Fords, SAABs and Volvos have heated front screens and various companies make them as after market fitments for numerous other models. On an Alpine where you have 2 people in a small space under a fabric roof it is a real boon and means no more sponges in the glovebox to mop the inside of the window on a damp day!
Tim R

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Got one on my wife's daily driver. Handy with snow / ice storms.

Thanks for posting the video. Keep up the good work.

Mike

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Tim, Perchance you could provide a source for our guys that might be interested here on the SAOCA Forum.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Dan,
Heated windshields are not available in this part of the world. I think Volkswagon tried it several years ago but dropped it due to insurance and recalls as did GM for these reasons.. I've wondered before if it's because of our required laminated windshields. The rear and side glass is not laminated like the windshield so that may be why. Anybody know why??

Bob, I wonder if the Sunbeam ALpine windshields Tim spoke about would be of interest to some of USA Guys & Gals?

I like the options I have in my Dodge Ram on the icey mornings.

65beam

Donation Time
Bob, I wonder if the Sunbeam ALpine windshields Tim spoke about would be of interest to some of USA Guys & Gals?

I like the options I have in my Dodge Ram on the icey mornings.
Dan,
There might be some interest but all things considered including cost of shipping and cost of a container to get it to the states and cost of product, I doubt that many would put out the final cost. With all the items you've made you better than anyone should know that. Dan, how many of the owners use these cars for every day driving or how many owners do not own another modern vehicle?

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
Dan,

The contact details of the U.K. supplier are shown on the video.

Tim R

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
Worked in a shop where we build the GTU Barettas we glued a grid to the windshield didn't seem to bother the drivers solved the fogging problem.