• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Sunbeam Alpine GT (Rapier) Windshield

Tosborn

Donation Time
Hello, I am beginning the process of restoring a Sunbeam Alpine GT, it's a local pacific northwest car and I "saved" it from a local kid who had begun tearing it apart. Before I get into it too deeply, I need a windshield. Does anyone know of a source in the US, or importer, that can supply a windshield for a Alpine GT? Thanks in advance.

65beam

Donation Time
When you say "Alpine GT" are you referring to a series 3 or 4 GT or a later fastback body. Call Pilkington Glass.

Tosborn

Donation Time
I believe the fastback, as it is a hardtop. I'm not too familiar with the various models yet. Thank you for the advice, I will call them.

Tosborn

Donation Time
I just submitted an account application at Pilkington for my business (Rule Garage, we do vintage and specialty car repair, restoration, and fabrication, in Tacoma, WA). They wouldn't quote a windshield without a commercial account, once it's approved I'll post here with the results.

65beam

Donation Time
I just submitted an account application at Pilkington for my business (Rule Garage, we do vintage and specialty car repair, restoration, and fabrication, in Tacoma, WA). They wouldn't quote a windshield without a commercial account, once it's approved I'll post here with the results.
I just call the 800 number and tell them what I need, get the price and availability and then drive to the warehouse on the south side of Columbus and pick it up.

Tosborn

Donation Time
Strange, when they routed me to the "local" representative, she said she wouldn't quote anything for me without a commercial account. I wonder why I'm not able to purchase from them as a private party here.

watisit

Diamond Level Sponsor
A few weeks back I purchased 2 screens (1 spare just in case) from Pilkington for my series II Alpine. I called the 800 number and they told me the price over the phone and availability and had them shipped to my local freight terminal in Baltimore with in a week. Cheers Jason

65beam

Donation Time
If you mentioned buying for a repair shop I would say that was why you got the response you heard. Things such as vendor license, tax exempt forms, etc, etc, pop up. Maybe things like discounted pricing. Pilkington will set a box and drop off orders at night so info is needed. Tell them it's personal use, pay the price and pay taxes. They'll sell it to you.

Tosborn

Donation Time
What 800 number has worked for you guys? I tried the 800-215-4666 and was shut down, I tried again today to be sure (this time mentioned I am a private party looking to purchase auto glass). I'm not against opening an account with them for my shop, just odd that they do sell to private parties according to you guys. Thanks again.

watisit

Diamond Level Sponsor
I just called this number below for the automotive glass for classics. Cheers Jason
  • General Inquiries: Phone +1 800-282-1986, Fax +1 253-645-4077, Email: pilkingtoncustomerservice@nsg.com
  • Pilkington Classics – Automotive Glass for Classic, Exotic, and Collectible Cars: Phone +1 800-848-1351

Tosborn

Donation Time
I tried you 800 number and that worked just fine. They have them in clear, full tint, or just roofline tint. For grins I called the Pilkington local office and they still refused to sell to a private party, and still haven't processed my paperwork for a commercial account for my shop. Thanks for the advice everyone, glad a windshield is still available.

Tosborn

Donation Time
Hello, wanted to update this thread with current windshield information:

Pilkington USA is out of the classic car business, and as such they do not have windshields anymore.

Pilkington UK, or other UK suppliers, are happy to crate and ship windshields to US, this will cost between $1000-1500 US dollars to your residential door, depending on who you go with. Even though that's spendy, it's nice to have a guaranteed option.

There is a man in Australia, Frank Schoenberger, who is looking to reproduce these windshields. He is at least 6 months out from getting them produced, so this isn't a guaranteed option. He expects them to be less than the UK options.

I haven't looked too much into Canada, but I wonder if any classic glass suppliers up north would still have these. Might be worth looking into that.

I found an extremely sketchy glass company online that "said" they still had one in stock in a USA warehouse, I spent a fair amount on it (but less than it would cost to import one from oversea). I should have it in hand next week, hopefully it fits! I'll report back if it does.