• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Tiger clone (Alger) on eBay

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
Okay, I get the interest in V8-ing an Alpine to an Alger but have a real problem when it's called a Tiger. The eBay seller makes a half-hearted effort to disclose the possibility of it being a clone at the very bottom of the listing but repeatedly refers it to a Tiger:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-Sunbe...ash=item1ccf474b8a:g:hU4AAOSwWKpctOgA&vxp=mtr

To the unfamiliar ... be careful ....... this is almost certainly a rebodied Alpine.

Mark ..... volvoguys

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Yes but it looks nice, as they almost always do in pictures. It sucks that eBay does not police the VIN requirement they have listed in their rules. I guess if it has the Tiger VIN and title its worth more at least in Europe ;)

65beam

Donation Time
It seems that a seller can show any VIN number or any combination they want when listing a car for sale. I don't think E Bay has the capability to check the listed VIN number. A privacy issue could come into play and there is no reason to list info that could reveal private info which could lead to liability issues.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
eBay doesn't because it doesn't want to , Craigslist doesn't either. VIN numbers are not private when selling a car of course there is no enforcement other than caveat de emptor. I'm pretty lazy I often save the old registration or title copy and put that on my ad for sale. My address isn't on the ad the vin number is and I don't have to hunt and peck it out. Anyone can run a VIN check on numerous sites and easily on a Tiger. You can't get someones address from a VIN number or plate number not since a actress got murdered Rebecca's law in California. This seller is selling a cloned car that he desires to sell without revealing that it has an Alpine tag or a Tiger tag that was moved which isn't legal .

65beam

Donation Time
Warren,
The facts are that no two people have the same way of thinking. If a potential buyer has interest in the car, then the buyer will communicate with the seller to verify the needed details such as the VIN. I've bought several cars on E Bay and have always done this. That's common sense. Other lurkers will state on forums or facebook concerning what's wrong and also post negative thoughts concerning the car but there's no reason for this since they have no intentions of buying it so why do they do it? Those are the facts.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Thanks but no thanks on the Sociology 101 class. The people you tar as Lurkers are those concerned with the fact that the seller a Realtor is playing a shell game . I don't think he's concerned with privacy unless you are talking the true and known identity of this car. As I recall I have seen 15 or more comments of Lurkers commenting on other sites raising the yellow flag on a seller that STARTED with a lie then has pulled back to saying "might, and my Tiger is also registered as an Alpine." That's a big of a red herring as if I said my titled as a 67 Tiger could be a MK2. I'm sure they do "it" like our OP did here its called public service concerning a misrepresented car.

Last edited:

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
Yesterday the seller replied to my question asking about the VIN. He included a few pics of the VIN with the prefix
B940 which confirms that it's not a authentic Tiger but a clone.

Still no mention of VIN in the listing.

65beam

Donation Time
Thanks but no thanks on the Sociology 101 class. The people you tar as Lurkers are those concerned with the fact that the seller a Realtor is playing a shell game . I don't think he's concerned with privacy unless you are talking the true and known identity of this car. As I recall I have seen 15 or more comments of Lurkers commenting on other sites raising the yellow flag on a seller that STARTED with a lie then has pulled back to saying "might, and my Tiger is also registered as an Alpine." That's a big of a red herring as if I said my titled as a 67 Tiger could be a MK2. I'm sure they do "it" like our OP did here its called public service concerning a misrepresented car.

You're welcome.

Scott Rodrigues

Donation Time
I feel as long as you're honest with what exactly it is, you're golden. I would drive the hell out of this car and not feel one bit concerned or bad. If it was a real Tiger, however...

Last edited: