• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

S2 OD Transmission

JackSun

Diamond Level Sponsor
Series 2 (date 27 4 61). Appears complete, condition unknown, moves freely. Will crate, pack and ship, asking $650, buyer pays shipping from Oklahoma City

Attachments

• IMG_2245.JPG
    IMG_2245.JPG
    308.6 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_2246.JPG
    IMG_2246.JPG
    348.5 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_2247.JPG
    IMG_2247.JPG
    493.1 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_2248.JPG
    IMG_2248.JPG
    341.1 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_2249.JPG
    IMG_2249.JPG
    295.3 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_2250.JPG
    IMG_2250.JPG
    271.5 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Question.... Does the E type Jag go with the OD.....:) Just Kidding of course. That is not a bad price for a good serviceable OD.

Suggestion: Probably a good idea to tell your location so that an interested Party might jump on it....

alpine_64

Donation Time
Dan... Serviceable is the key there...be good to know what the cones and linning surface is like. Could be a good deal or expensive paperweight

65beam

Donation Time
Dan,
He's in Oklahoma City. Parts are available for the OD/trans and you and I both know that it's a matter of whether or not we want to R & R Beams or their parts. Anything is repairable and it looks like everything is there so it's a good starting point for building a good unit. I'll offer him more if the Jag is part of the deal.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
At least the cover is from a very early S1 . Look at the dipstick hole. Wonder how this matches to the date code. Looks like the shifting Mecha/cover got swapped in earlier life ...

Last edited:

65beam

Donation Time
I've always liked having the dip stick/fill being on the top of trans. The way it was set up with the rubber plug with carpet in the center looked better and made it easy to check/fill the trans. Plus it was hid out of the normal field of vision instead of having to look at the black plug sticking thru the carpet on the side of the tunnel.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
True. I love this feature. So convenient to check the gearbox oil level from the inside rather than lying in the dirt trying to undo that big nut. Filling up from the inside is also dead easy . The best feature of a S1 ;-)

P.S. Just the top cover is not enough -you also need the proper S1 gearbox cast and the dipstick of course...

Last edited:

Cali_59

Donation Time
"...be good to know what the cones and linning surface is like. "

Could you expand on this? Other than putting the trans into all gears and spinning.. is there checks that can be done before one installs a Mystery OD?
Thanks! Chris

RootesRacer

Donation Time

Could you expand on this? Other than putting the trans into all gears and spinning.. is there checks that can be done before one installs a Mystery OD?
Thanks! Chris

Cones and linings would relate to the cone clutch linings and the brake plate which are the consumable part of a laycock overdrive.

RootesRacer

Donation Time

Thanks! Chris
I would tear down any overdrive to look for problems before investing the time installing it and then finding out that some parts (like bearings ECT) caused me to waste my time on a second R&R.

Cali_59

Donation Time
Thanks much. I guess the intelligent step is seeing if one can get their mystery OD rebuilt. Who do I speak to?

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks much. I guess the intelligent step is seeing if one can get their mystery OD rebuilt. Who do I speak to?
Jeff Howarth

Jeff is certainly 'the man' when it comes to Alpine OD's, but shipping both ways across the Pond would certainly add to the time and expense of doing this. Is there no one in North America who does this? Given all of the cars that used the Laycock OD unit, I would think there must be someone.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
John Esposito in Connecticut , Quantum Mechanics, specializes in overdrives. He rebuilds them and have a vast knowledge of all British cars with O/D.
Good to know! I was curious and have been Googling Laycock OD rebuilding since I posted that and was just about to post to a link on Quantuum! He does seem to be 'the man' on this side of the pond. For anyone interested in knowing more about him, here is a pretty good article from Hemmings: https://www.hemmings.com/blog/article/shift-into-overdrive/

Cali_59

Donation Time
I did not realize Jeff/John, were in the UK.. In hindsight, I could have just shipped my UK OD directly.
I had not contacted Jeff. I wanted to do some do-it-myself research first
Now that it is on the way over here to San Diego,CA,
I am leaning towards giving it a go on my own, provided I can find those parts that wear out the most./ clutch/Brake/ bearings/seals.
I found the clutch ring rebuilt, not cheap ( 3oo.oo ), as an exchange service back in the UK.
It seem the parts are available with bit or research.
And a how-to available on Youtube. albeit without John speaking,, just shortened pop-up explanations. This plus the manual and buying a used press and finding or making the specialty tools.. What could go wrong? haha.