• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

New HArrington boot scripts

Limey

Donation Time
Hi All,

After a long delay I'm going to have made a small batch of Harrington scripts.

My dilemma is what material to spec.

1) Aluminium - just needs to be polished but not strong and will age quickly? Some of you may already have these. How are they lasting? Do they tarnish and how did you fit the locating pegs/threads on the back?

2) Brass - for chroming but a bit soft so could go out of shape when plating and polishing?

3) Stainless steel - just needs a polish?

I’d be interested in your thoughts.

Also how best to accommodate the pegs in the backs of all of the types? Any ideas?

Thanks

Oliver

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Limey, I am not into the Harringtons, for more than one reason such as availability and $$$, But, to give an answer to one of your questions.... 3) Stainless steel - just needs a polish? I like stainless steel because of it's strength and it retention of a finish when polished. I have used stainless steel to make the "buttons" on the Hardtop quarter windows. They are very nice after 7 or 8 years.

As for the pegs, how about developing the use of clips that snap to the mounting holes? Can that be done economically?

Limey

Donation Time
Hi Dan,

My chromers prefer brass and I can braise or solder the pegs. Stainless is going to be harder to work the pegs (I don't weld stainless) and whilst plating will cover any workings on the brass option, on Ss to preserve the face I'd have to part drill from the back and use automotive adhesive or stud fix on an interference fit peg ( I think)...

I'm leaning towards brass /chrome and tho it wont be cheap, it will be pretty accurate.

I wanted to keep the very slight slope on the sides but I can't find a 4 axis water cutting co that will look at a short run like mine.

Oliver

Attachments

• Harrington Script.jpg
    Harrington Script.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I can braise or solder the pegs.
If you can do that you are well ahead of the game. Brass and chrome plating is a tried and true method. We have a hard time getting the chrome plating done any more near me.

65beam

Donation Time
There's a small market for the badges since the script was not used on the LeMans which was the largest number of the four types of conversions. I have two of the scripts like the top one in your photo and have often wondered what would be the best way of installing the pins. I use a plating shop about 450 miles from where I live. I usually drive out to drop off parts and they return ship to me.

Limey

Donation Time
I'm only having 10 made. The brass base is (relatively) cheap. It's the chroming that costs as you will know and I think drilling through and braising the pins will be the way. There are some automotive/construction glues out there that are unbelievably strong but I'm a bit old fashioned..

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Brass/chrome sounds the proper way. The pins are needed to give fitting orientation. You may glue the scripts on just using normal silicone...

Limey

Donation Time
''You may glue the scripts on just using normal silicone...'' Bernd, I am very disappointed in you. That's no way to treat a Harrington ;-)

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Why not ? It's a proven method and it works extremely well. The best part is you will never encounter any rust problems because you don't need the steel clips at all which are always corroding plus you have a water tight sealing around each hole. I didn't believe it either but one of my good old club buddies recommended the method and I used it to install all scripts on my S1 that way. It works a treat. Try it you won't be disappointed ...

P.S. Of course I 'm talking transparent silicone here - any excessive amount can easily be wiped away...

Limey

Donation Time
You are both correct of course empirically speaking. But as I'm trying to make this resto as close to factory as possible I can't use those methods and I will be honest with you and say that if the original had 3 studs then use three studs. Anything else is 'make and mend' which is fine if you are trying to keep something on the road with minimum budget and effort. That's not a dig at you guys but why cut corners when half the pleasure is doing it the hard way just to be 'cussed'. I could restore an Alpine to a standard that would get most Alpine members drooling in 12 months and on a tight budget but it would be no challenge and look like all the others in the concours car park. The personal pleasure is in the last 1% of doing it right. True, I've only rebuilt one Harrington but it's taken 12 years...The next and last one will be a '2 year job' to use up the spares, the donor, the Ashley hard top and Bill Atallas body and then I'm done. On that one I won't be so 'gung ho' ;)

Oliver

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Understood. Your choice. I also prefer originality in most of the cases. But sometimes there are better methods. Anyway interested in your next project. Keep us posted :)

Limey

Donation Time
How do you sleep at night Bernd?:DI thought you were one of the true and pure 'Harrington brethren'? Repent and return to the true path before it is too late!

Once you start gluing things on you will be lost forever, matey. Its a Harrington not a model aeroplane kit. You might as well fit a Ford Zetec, stick some Mazda seats in it and paint it orange.:p

I'll burn some Joss sticks in front of my picture of Lord Rootes and keep my fingers crossed for you.

Oliver

65beam

Donation Time
Being a "Baby Boomer" I tend to do it my way. There were many changes made to the white car that nobody would ever find. We don't build cars based on a budget nor do we have a concern about the resale value of the car. These cars were only factory correct one time but they can be rebuilt close to factory specs. I have no problems with that. The one thing that I put my faith in is that many years have passed since these cars were built and in that period of time there have been a lot of changes made to things such as paint, body supplies, mechanical and electric parts, etc. These changes have always been for the good. There are also many items such as the Harrington badge that were NLA shortly after production of the cars and have to be fabricated for that reason. There are many items on the white car that were fabricated or modified. The side trim is one item that Doug at Tiger Auto made changes to for the betterment of the mounting. I understand where you're coming from. I know you've seen the photos of what my RHD car looked like after I returned home after making a drive cross country to pick it up at Bill Attala's. Different strokes for different folks!

65beam

Donation Time
How do you sleep at night Bernd?:DI thought you were one of the true and pure 'Harrington brethren'? Repent and return to the true path before it is too late!

Once you start gluing things on you will be lost forever, matey. Its a Harrington not a model aeroplane kit. You might as well fit a Ford Zetec, stick some Mazda seats in it and paint it orange.:p

I'll burn some Joss sticks in front of my picture of Lord Rootes and keep my fingers crossed for you.

Oliver
Wasn't Lord Rootes the person that gave the "OK" to put a V8 in a perfectly good Alpine????

Limey

Donation Time
WelL said 65beam. I'm with you there. Once mines done she is going to get used, stone chips the lot. It's the journey not the destination ;-)

Limey

Donation Time
Wasn't Lord Rootes the person that gave the "OK" to put a V8 in a perfectly good Alpine????
I think Tigers are cr*p and over priced but that's just me :rolleyes: They probably pitched it to him after he'd had a 'long lunch' the old fool

65beam

Donation Time
WelL said 65beam. I'm with you there. Once mines done she is going to get used, stone chips the lot. It's the journey not the destination ;-)
Oliver,
Your wife must not travel with you. Mine tends to over pack and I never know what she may buy before we get home. That's a couple of the reasons we trailer. Plus we like A.C.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Oliver,

yes, I'm sleeping extremely well and will rebuild the HLM my way - same as Bob does. It's gonna be widely original but there will be personal improvements over originality based on the know how which I accumulated in over 30 years of Sunbeaming. Not interested in "Garage Queens" but my cars are driven hard on the roads all over EU and have to be reliable. Would never put Zetec engine or Mazda seats so nothing to worry about. Tigers are simply great cars - try one ...