• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

rust

cuppy65

Donation Time
When will I ever learn , " Rust Free" , simply means there is no extra charge for it.

Attachments

• 20190310_111717.jpg
    20190310_111717.jpg
    320.6 KB · Views: 133

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
RUST FREE! Ah! A new meaning:)

I have to hand it to you Cuppy, that is definitely a meaning of its own....

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Ah, that's no so bad. Worse than not having any at all, but not as bad as
the '67 I'm working on now. This poor car was just bodged everywhere it could be.
Soon to be the nice car that it should be!
Cheers!
SteveIMG_0635.JPG IMG_0634.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0636.JPG
    IMG_0636.JPG
    313.1 KB · Views: 111

cuppy65

Donation Time
Your correct. At least it doesn't extend up the sides. What I find remarkable is how this thing is constructed . They tack weld the floor pans to the frame and then weld the pans from underneath to the frame. These were incredibly solid cars ! Overbroad by American standards. I've restored American cars,mustangs,falcons,fairlanes,5o's fords and 40'schevys. The closest thing to the alpine was a 57 metropolitan!

cuppy65

Donation Time
That 57 metro was my first car . I paid 100 bucks for it in 68. My dad,God rest his soul, gave me all kinds of grief. "This foreign piece of #^&&&#, what is wrong with you boy!!!

Gary T

Gold Level Sponsor
My Series II also had major floor rust as well as the rocker area. The previous owner decided he could fix the floor by using plywood, lag bolts and through bolts along with a lot of caulking and expandable foam. What a mess that was to remove all those parts. Finally got all of the floors repaired with welded steel as well as the inner two parts of the rocker panel. The good news was that the X member was still solid as I tested the door fit with a jack in the middle of the X member and jacked up the whole car and the doors still fit. I also kept an adjustable jack stand at that location while welding new steel to maintain the alignment of the doors. I am making progress, but the process is slow and I am not getting any younger!

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
This '67 had thin galvanized steel pop riveted to the rusty remains of the floors, with aluminum street
signs screwed to that. To top it off, the seat mounts, which in all fairness were probably rotted as well,
were removed except for the front parts. They had rubber blocks in there for the rear mounts with bolts
going through the floors. The bolts weren't even tight! I can imagine what driving this car was like!
I'm always amazed at the ingenuity of previous "restorers"!
Cheers!
Steve

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Looks great. I wish I could do sheet metal repair. Unfortunately, my birthdate and the availability of the equipment to do such work are in serious misalignment. I came to DIY automotive bodywork during the age of pop rivets and Bondo. Dad made some repair panels for his '49 Dodge pickup and did a good job of it. Unfortunately, other than pop rivets, he had no way of actually attaching them to the body. That had a defining effect on me.

Bill

mikephillips

Donation Time
Some of the modern panel adhesives are supposed as good or better than welding. I keep telling myself I'm going to try one, someday...

Was once given a "field" car. Those of you country boys know what that means. Had been sitting out something like a dozen years behind a barn. Was so rusted the hood folded in two when I opened it. 3/4 of each door was gone from rust. I did get a set of good glass, a Rootes replacement 1725 engine and some other odds and ends. Not a body panel on the whole thing worth cutting loose and keeping. Now that was a rusty Alpine.