• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

I decided to build seats for my series 2, kind of.

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
With the Mazda running gear all done, it is time to make it more comfortable. I tried to find 1995 Miata M seats with the removeable headrests to install in my car, I would not be using the headrest and just use them as low backs. but I have not had any luck finding any, so on to plan B. I pick up a set of Miata NA seats to use the base with my backs. The Miata seats sit 2+ inches lower then the seats I have now, they are from a 1972 Datsun 240Z. Back in the 80's I cut them down into low backs and welded on the top from my series 2 seats. I modified the Miata base to fit the Sunbeam tracks by welding in some mounts.
RIMG0843-L.jpg

I machined some stand offs to hold the Datsun tilt mechanism and completed the welding. Drivers side is done, I am going to drive it around a while to make sure I like them before I have them upholstered. It feels good in the garage. I am surprised how will the 1972 Datsun 240Z backs match up with the 1992 Miata seats.
RIMG0845-L.jpg

RIMG0847-L.jpg

RIMG0848-L.jpg

RIMG0851-L.jpg

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I modified the Miata base to fit the Sunbeam tracks by welding in some mounts.
RIMG0843-L.jpg

Thanks for posting these photos. I really like what you did, as it would seem to lower them just enough and solve what I have always felt was the major problem with non stock seats. I notice that your outside brackets look longer than the inside ones. If that is correct, what was the reason for that? Also, if you made a template for the brackets, would you be able to share that?

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks for posting these photos. I really like what you did, as it would seem to lower them just enough and solve what I have always felt was the major problem with non stock seats. I notice that your outside brackets look longer than the inside ones. If that is correct, what was the reason for that? Also, if you made a template for the brackets, would you be able to share that?
They are the same, just looks that way in the picture and I did make templates if anyone needed them. I drove it over the weekend and they are much better.

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
Seats are done, I still need to install all the panels. The bottoms are Miata and the backs are Datsun 240Z with the headrest cut off and the stock Sunbeam top loop welded on. It will be fun to see if people can guess what they are from, the motor & 5 speed already throws them off.
RIMG0918-L.jpg

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
All the panels are done.
RIMG0928-L.jpg

So it's time for carpet, and time to make all the little repairs to the floor. I had to repair a seat mount nut, clean the sheet metal and paint it with rust stopping paint and cover in Dynamat. I also removed the hump in the floor by the gas pedal that was for the Sunbeam starter motor, this gives me more room for my foot.
RIMG0941-L.jpg

RIMG0943-L.jpg

Hard to see, but I have close to two inches more room between the gas pedal and tunnel.
RIMG0948-L.jpg

RIMG0939-L.jpg

I also covered the seat mounts to match the seats, this is the carpet I am using.
RIMG0947-L.jpg

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
I am waiting for the carpet to come in, special order. So I rebuilt my seat tracks, not fun. I sandblasted and powder coated the parts and replaced the ball bearing and roll pins. I found drilling out the indents at the ends and tapping them to 8-32 to use 3/16 long set screws worked to reinstall the slides.
RIMG0952-XL.jpg

RIMG0951-XL.jpg

RIMG0954-XL.jpg