• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

HLM spears needed...

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
I'm still seeking for a set of Harrington LeMans spears for my ongoing Restauration. Didn't post it in the Wanted section because of obvious reasons. If anybody has a spare set I 'ld be more than pleased...

Last edited:

alpine_64

Donation Time
Bernd, a few owners are hunting those side trims... If the rootes archive has the drawings they are an ideal part to 3d print

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
True, but I'm not giving up. I know that there must be still a few around. Checked the archive earlier - unfortunately even they can't help much about Harrington stuff. My theory is that their dedicated drawings got lost when they gave up.

In worst case I'll need to get them reproed...

65beam

Donation Time
I'm sure you know that the spears are two pieces soldered together. I took these photos today of my spares110_0638.JPG 110_0640.JPG . They came with car number two way back in 1989. Back in the early 80's Tiger Tom ran the batch of reproduction glove box badges using the original from my red car. We later thought about making the side mouldings but the cost for a few sets was ASTRONOMICAL. So it never happened. NO, they're not for sale.

65beam

Donation Time
True, but I'm not giving up. I know that there must be still a few around. Checked the archive earlier - unfortunately even they can't help much about Harrington stuff. My theory is that their dedicated drawings got lost when they gave up.

I've had a few e mail conversations with Bob Allan concerning a Heritage certificate for my Harringtons. It looks like they can only furnish the info concerning the build of the incomplete Alpine and nothing concerning Harrington.

alpine_64

Donation Time

I think repro is a good idea.. I can think of at least 5 cars needing them.. If i can get a set to measure i can model the parts for printing.. Then they can be repro on demand ;-)

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Bob, big thanks for close ups. No I wasn't aware that they were soldered/brazed together. But now the construction becomes more clear to me. Could never get a hold of originals so far. Also interesting is the pin location in the soldering blob. Would appreciate if you could also send the complete rear view to also see the other pins location. Noted that unfortunately you are not intending to sell but can understand that. Tell me if you change your mind.

Michael: 3D print would be appreciated but problem is to get somebody to borrow you the originals. Can you 3D print metal ?

I still have a length of original stainless trim material. May try a repro myself...

65beam

Donation Time
Michael,
Will the use of a 3D printer give you the ability to make them as a one piece unit?
Bob, big thanks for close ups. No I wasn't aware that they were soldered/brazed together. But now the construction becomes more clear to me. Could never get a hold of originals so far. Also interesting is the pin location in the soldering blob. Would appreciate if you could also send the complete rear view to also see the other pins location. Noted that unfortunately you are not intending to sell but can understand that. Tell me if you change your mind.

Michael: 3D print would be appreciated but problem is to get somebody to borrow you the originals. Can you 3D print metal ?

I still have a length of original stainless trim material. May try a repro myself...
The door and body side mouldings are held on by clips that were originally held on by metal screws. I have several bags of the original clips which were used on other Rootes cars including Imps. The moulding snaps over these clips. They had no pins. Doug at Tiger Auto found that the grill eyebrow fasteners fit the side mouldings so the door piece is now easily removable and so are the rear pieces. The piece that turns down at the back has three small bolts soldered to them and these bolts are held on by nuts on the inside of the body. I can't take photos of the installed pieces due to the interior being done. I'll take some photos of the side pieces.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Know about the clips and have a bag as well. The tip with the eyebrow fasteners sounds interesting. Just don't like to drill such big holes into the new paint job...
Fortunately have the " Hockeysticks" 2 pieces original and 1 piece reproed. My focus are the spears at the moment...

Last edited:

65beam

Donation Time
That's the reason body shops apply the green tape before drilling a hole in paint. No chips or scratches and the holes are not seen when the moulding is installed. This may sound odd but I watched Doug use a small file to bevel the luggage rack holes he drilled in the trunk lid of my series 4 prior to paint.

alpine_64

Donation Time

Yes you can 3d print metal, its especially useful for non structural parts. Aston martin now 2d print what used to be small cast parts for their classic stock.

If yuu have the material for the long side trim in theory you could jist print the spear head and solder it on. That would be a good cost saving. You could also print the stepped return swage that finishes the trim at the rear.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Michael,

I actually meant whether you can 3D print metal. We have a 3D printer in our company, but we can only print plastics. Like the idea to have the at least spears printed but you still need an original part to make 3D scan in order to get the data. Currently I have no reference other than just pictures....

alpine_64

Donation Time
Bernd,

Yes you can 3d print metal, but your printer probably doesnt. You dont need a 3d scan, just 3d model .. So if we can get dimensions or i can get access to one i could model it.. There is a hlm being painted at the moment.. Ill see if i can access the car and do some measuring

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Let me know how you progress on the topic...

If others would be willing to enable a 3D data taking by providing originals pls. let us know...

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
I have a set of spears that I would be willing to lend for 3D measurement. I am in need of a pair of quarter moulding finishers ( hockey sticks) for my HLM, any thoughts? I'm in the Boston area and can be reached by phone at 78l 829 O55O m-f 8-5 EST.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
That sounds a great offer to me, thanks. Is there anybody in US capable to take the 3D data ? If not you could send them over to me, but I'm in Germany. Return guaranteed. As said I have one spare reproed hockeystick which is very accurate but is in raw stainless. It would require some polishing to bring it to shine. It could serve as a pattern to repro the other side by mirroring...

Bobbytriumph

Donation Time
Needing one spear, two hockey sticks, and the side badges “Le Mans” if there is going to be a group doing reproductions I will join in to fund the project, or purchase for my car. Investigated having my one spear duplicated and the cost was very high but. I think our cars cry out to be correct. Seen photos without and it’s not quite right.

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
Charnwood publishing in England used to sell reproductions of the " Le Mans" side badges, I got 1 and it is very nice. You may be able to search the forums here and get their info.

65beam

Donation Time
Needing one spear, two hockey sticks, and the side badges “Le Mans” if there is going to be a group doing reproductions I will join in to fund the project, or purchase for my car. Investigated having my one spear duplicated and the cost was very high but. I think our cars cry out to be correct. Seen photos without and it’s not quite right.
I have cars with and without the side moldings. I always liked the look without. The wife says when # 3 is done it won't have them.100_0294.JPG

Attachments

• 110_0404.JPG
    110_0404.JPG
    371.9 KB · Views: 15

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor

Let us see what we can do for you at least for the spear and the hockey sticks. From my opinion HLM's deserve to be correct, that's why the trim has to be on. Even though it appears they have been a terrible rust trap in the past...