• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

ford 9inch in series II

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
I've narrowed the 83-92 Ranger 7.5 by using two short side axles. Moser has 7.5/8.8 ends that enable you to use 8"/9" 28 spline cut to fit axles and eliminate the C clips. All kinds of LSD's and ratios of 3.08, 3.45, 3.73 and 4.10. The 7.5 uses the same bearings as the 8.8. The guys that break them are usually 4.0 Mustangs that are Turbo'd, Supercharged or Nitrous and over 4ooHP. The spider gears are the weak link. The Tru-Trac eliminates those. Here is a picture of one for the MGB with Mustang disc brakes:Chris's 7.5.jpg

Last edited:

tigretr

Donation Time
Rocco.. Think you have to shorten it to fit. Iirc didnt brian holmes use one in his turbo alpine setup?

Will your class in historics allow that?

I just stumbled across this. Yes, i did put a Currie custom 9 inch with Porsche 11" discs and brembo calipers in my car but I had to cut everything out behind the seats to make room for it. Mainly because I put in a 3 link which meant I have a link on top of the pumpkin. I also needed the connection point for the top link 23" in front of the rear end, so there was a ton of framing that needed to happen. Even without the link on top I think it would be tight with the 9" and a lowered car. I am a bit late to te topic, maybe you already sorted it out.

PROCRAFT

Donation Time

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Dan, If you use two short side axles trimmed off at the C clip groove, eliminate the C clips and use the Moser ends it comes out to 53". If you use the cut to fit long spline axles you can make it as narrow as 48". I'll make a few when I retire.

http://www.moserengineering.com/7700 - 1979-2004-8-8-mustang-uses-9-ford-small-bearing-and-non-c-clip-axles.item

Jim,

Seems to me that using two short side axles would result in considerable pinion offset. Is the offset compatible with the narrow Series Alpine transmission tunnel?

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Barry, On the 83-92 Ranger the axles were different lengths to line up with the transfer case. The 2wd had the same axles, probably cheaper for Ford. The pinion offset is the same as the Mustang with same size axles. It is offset to the right 1.25". With the cut to fit axles you can center it. If using the stock short side axles the bearing surface has to be turned down .020 for the small 9" bearings to be pressed on.

Last edited:

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Not sure I understand. What would the flange-to-flange measurements be with (a) one short axle shaft and a centered pinion and with (b) one long axle shaft and a centered pinion?

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Barry, Stock 83-92 short right side axle is 26.25". Long left side axle is 29.125". Pinion offset is 1.25" to the right of center in the differential. Flange to flange is 56.5". I have used 2 short right side axles with the C clip button cut off 1/2" shorter and small 9" bearing and ends. Axle bearing surface turned down .020 for the small 9" bearing to press on. Now both axles are 25.75" length. Flange to flange is now 52.625". Pinion is still 1.25" offset to right of center, same as in the Mustang. For the 28 spline 8"/9" cut to fit axles (30"with 8" splines) the left side would be 1.25" shorter and right side 1.25" longer to center the pinion. I would make the left side 25" and the right 26.25" to center the pinion. Flange to flange would be 52.375". Clear as mud, right! Flange to flange measurements are estimates at 1.125" between axle ends.

Last edited:

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
tiger dana 44 pinion offset.jpg alpine pinion offset.jpg Moser has a C clip eliminator bearing for GM/Ford that happens to have the right OD and ID to press fit on the stock Ranger axle without machining .020 off the bearing surface. Also I noticed there is about 1/2" of unused splines so the stock axles could be shortened another 1/2" each side. So flange to flange would be 51.625". The pinion offset is still 1.25". The MGB is about 1". The Sunbeam rear has some offset also (pic). Dana 44 pinion offset is 1.5"(pic). All have equal axle lengths. The pinion would have to be on the top or bottom to not have any offset. The tunnel clearance for the driveline could be tight if the offset is the other way. The 8" ford has a lot of offset and requires a short and long axle to center the pinion.

Last edited:

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Barry, Stock 83-92 short right side axle is 26.25". Long left side axle is 29.125". Pinion offset is 1.25" to the right of center in the differential. Flange to flange is 56.5". I have used 2 short right side axles with the C clip button cut off 1/2" shorter and small 9" bearing and ends. Axle bearing surface turned down .020 for the small 9" bearing to press on. Now both axles are 25.75" length. Flange to flange is now 52.625". Pinion is still 1.25" offset to right of center, same as in the Mustang. For the 28 spline 8"/9" cut to fit axles (30"with 8" splines) the left side would be 1.25" shorter and right side 1.25" longer to center the pinion. I would make the left side 25" and the right 26.25 to center the pinion. Flange to flange would be 52.375". Clear as mud, right! Flange to flange measurements are estimates at 1.125" between axle ends.

There has to be lateral spacing between the pinion gear and crown gear, so equal length axle shafts inherently means an offset pinion. The transmission tunnel on the Series Alpine is very narrow and Jose Rodriguez (V6 Jose) always said to use a centered pinion to prevent drive shaft interference (I agree).

I think the 25" left axle shaft / 26-1/4" right axle shaft / centered pinion / 52-3/8" flange-to-flange combination would work very well for the typical 6" wide steel or alloy wheels with +15-20 mm offset. On paper, it would move the rear wheels / tires outward by 0.8125" (13/16") on each side and would eliminate a good chunk of the 2-1/2" narrower rear track width with equal width / offset steel or alloy wheels in front and back.

Last edited:

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Barry, I agree on the centered being better also. Sunbeam used the Dana 44 in the Tiger with the 1.5" offset. You can see in the pic that it is close on the right side of the tunnel . For the economy minded the 7.5's 1.25" offset is less, so a little more room. Best deal on the cut to fit axles was $350 a pair and are in multi 5 lug pattern. New stock alloy axles are $200 a pair and can be redrilled to stock 4 lug pattern if desired. tiger driveline.jpg

Last edited:

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
When you are talking about pinion centered, here's what we did with the 8.8 we're using. We got a 8.8 from a Ford Exploder, the track width is 59.5 "we shortened one side 7" and the other 2.5". The explorer axle is off set, that's why we did it this way. We now have a 50" track width. We had Moser re spline the axles which was perfect for this track width. We've done this before and have used different track widths. When doing this you can re spline one and will have to get another axle( 53" track ). The reasoning behind this axle at least in our case is it has a 3.73LSD and 11 " discs and they are cheap. I noticed the post about the three link. We used a Parallel 4 link which doesn't require any cutting .

Last edited:

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
is there a rear end assembly, other than a jeep (strange wheel bolt patter)" that I can weld spring perches to and install "? (1963 alpine) using a 302/ c4. I don't need something as hefty as a 9" . Thanks

RootesRacer

Donation Time
is there a rear end assembly, other than a jeep (strange wheel bolt patter)" that I can weld spring perches to and install "? (1963 alpine) using a 302/ c4. I don't need something as hefty as a 9" . Thanks
There are some Jeep rear axles that are the right width (Jeepster/commando). They are Dana 44 axles but the pinion is offset from the center since these vehcles have transfer cases.

Pretty much any other commonly available axle is going to need shortened.