• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

On dash left-right directional switch.

Charles Johns

Donation Time
I am laying out my dash on paper and seem to remember a Bugeye Sprite a buddy owned that had a directional switch on the dash. Am I dreaming? I am certain it had a flip-switch that was OFF in the middle and turned on the left-right directional lights by left-right switching. It seems there was a blinker light that came on to remind... HEY, YOUR BLINKERS ARE ON! This may be a way to solve a problem I MAY have with my column. I have several ON-OFF and ON-OFF-ON switches I can use. At present I am collecting switches, lights, fuse panels, relays, wire, etc., to wire the car, and remembered my friends Sprite...at least I think it was a Sprite. Hey, I'm old, had a stroke, roll off my creeper sometimes before standing up, but I do eventually get up...or just take a nap.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I don't know of any reason a dash ON-OFF-ON switch would not work. The "stock" setup is a PIA. In hot weather they last perhaps one signal, then they over cancel. Definitely on right hand turns, sometimes on lefties, too. That goes on for forever, or at least until the plastic gizmo that makes it work gets replaced. Then it is usually good until the next hot day. I don't care how you adjust them or sacrifices that are made to false Gods. There in West Texas, I'd guess the fix might last as long as a couple of weeks. Here, the fix might last as long as the better part of a month during nice Sunbeam weather.

If you can find room in a convenient location for the switch, go for it.

Bill
BTW, strokes are a bitch, aren't they?

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Charles, Old hot Rodder's answer. Incudes 4 way flasher. Lights up and with the addition of a HD flasher with loud clicks to remind you your signal is on.

Attachments

• 71S3wBUAViL._SX569_.jpg
    71S3wBUAViL._SX569_.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 50

Charles Johns

Donation Time
Thanks guys, I am fairly sure the Sprite switch was a factory item and not an add-on. It was in the middle of the dash which on a Sprite is not even a good reach for the driver. 260Alpine, I had one of those on my 32 coupe and it worked fine...but looked funky. You know, hanging out there off the left side of the column and wires running down the side of it. Tie-wrapped all the way down to the dash, but still Funky lookin. The ON-OFF-ON switch will blend right in with the other switches. Which reminds me, I fixed a car with several (I think 8) toggle switches across the dash that had to be in an OFF-ON-ON-OFF pattern for the first 4, for the car to start and run. One turned ON the ignition, one turned ON the fuel pump, one turned OFF the car alarm and one turned OFF the wipers...I think. It was 30 years ago so don't hold me to it, but I do remember him driving on a hot Texas afternoon over to my place with the wipers on. Anyway, we never told even our friends which way they had to be...we had some "shady" friends. OH, they would eventually bring your car back, probably full of gas, but you and the cops would be lookin for days. I sometimes think Texans are strange, and I'm a native!

Charles Johns

Donation Time
I located some pictures of a Sprite dash and I was right. There is a directional switch right in the middle that is a Left-on, Middle-off, Right-on for the turn switch. My friends had a green, I think, light next to the switch that blinked until the switch was turned off. Not self-cancelling...but it worked. Problem solved. I do not mind cancelling the directional switch so long as I have them. Remember manual shifting, turning the AC and heat on and off manually? I also had to adjust outside mirrors by hand and dim lights at night with a foot button. Now they are talking seriously about self-driving cars...and testing them! Some think I am nuts because I actually like driving, but I really do, especially Sportscars, Customs and Hot Rods.

Charles Johns

Donation Time
PROCRAFT, I have installed ididit columns on street rods and they are beautiful...and expensive. A tilt column from a wrecking yard is about 20% of theirs and on a street driven car they look fine when installed properly. My 1940 Ford coupe had one out of a Pontiac with tilt, collapsible column, directional switch, horn, and a nice wheel. Those who hire people like me to build a car from the frame up, are not regular people. The last car I built was a 1940 Nash two-door sedan...3" chopped top, all chrome removed, big block Ford V8, total custom interior, custom body work and more. It won Best in class, best interior and 2nd place Peoples Choice at a Fort Worth major car show. The only problem...he spent $65,000.00 and that was in 1992, or over 25 years ago. Love the ididit column but my funds are limited.

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
PROCRAFT, I have installed ididit columns on street rods and they are beautiful...and expensive. A tilt column from a wrecking yard is about 20% of theirs and on a street driven car they look fine when installed properly. My 1940 Ford coupe had one out of a Pontiac with tilt, collapsible column, directional switch, horn, and a nice wheel. Those who hire people like me to build a car from the frame up, are not regular people. The last car I built was a 1940 Nash two-door sedan...3" chopped top, all chrome removed, big block Ford V8, total custom interior, custom body work and more. It won Best in class, best interior and 2nd place Peoples Choice at a Fort Worth major car show. The only problem...he spent $65,000.00 and that was in 1992, or over 25 years ago. Love the ididit column but my funds are limited.
I personally don't really care how much you built how many columns you used I just made a suggestion PERIOD!

Charles Johns

Donation Time
Woah, PROCRAFT, I did not intend to tick-off anyone on this site, just wanted to explain I have used those beautiful columns before, but can't afford one right now.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I have a stock switch, but am very tired of rebuilding it and it still overcancels after a week or so of use. Does the Triumph switch work correctly?

Bill

65beam

Donation Time
Bill,
Tiger Tom published a very informative article concerning rebuilding and adjusting the turn signal switch in the October TE/AE news letter. It should be available on line.

loose_electron

Donation Time
I have a stock switch, but am very tired of rebuilding it and it still overcancels after a week or so of use. Does the Triumph switch work correctly?

Bill

I did not set it up to autocancel, you turn it off yourself. Otherwise it works quite well, and fits inside the cowl that surrounds the steering column.

You will have to fabricate a mount for it. I took a block of plastic and machined it to fit against the steering column, and made the cutouts and bolt holes to hold the switch. After that, I took a hose clamp , cut it in half opposite of the screw tightener, and mounted the two pieces to the plastic block. The assembly tightens to the steering column using the hose clamp. Sorry I don't have pictures.

Mine works reliably, and have not had to touch it since installing it last winter.

loose_electron

Donation Time
Here is a picture of the thing all put back together (hidden under the cowl, and fits where the original one goes), as you can see, it just looks like it is a normal part of the car, and not some clunky add-on like that golf cart switch.

Attachments

• 20171217_234827.jpg
    20171217_234827.jpg
    340.9 KB · Views: 49

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Bob, I can't see that Tom is doing anything differently than I am. Bottom line, it takes a certain to kick the switch to neutral on an 80 degree day. After the car has been baking in the summer sun for a few hours, the plastic "spring" takes a new set, allowing the switch to over cancel
Bill,
Tiger Tom published a very informative article concerning rebuilding and adjusting the turn signal switch in the October TE/AE news letter. It should be available on line.
That is exactly the procedure that I use. Works great for a week or so or until hot weather. Seems the problem is the plastic doo-hickey. I can usually get a few more weeks out of the switch if I shim the doo-hickey with thin pieces of foam weather strip. After that, no way.

I'm hoping I can make the self canceling feature on the Triumph switch work. If I can, my fame and fortune are assured. The rest of the adaption seems pretty straight forward.

Bill

65beam

Donation Time
Bob, I can't see that Tom is doing anything differently than I am. Bottom line, it takes a certain to kick the switch to neutral on an 80 degree day. After the car has been baking in the summer sun for a few hours, the plastic "spring" takes a new set, allowing the switch to over cancel

That is exactly the procedure that I use. Works great for a week or so or until hot weather. Seems the problem is the plastic doo-hickey. I can usually get a few more weeks out of the switch if I shim the doo-hickey with thin pieces of foam weather strip. After that, no way.

I'm hoping I can make the self canceling feature on the Triumph switch work. If I can, my fame and fortune are assured. The rest of the adaption seems pretty straight forward.

Bill
Bill,
Over the years it has been found that many reproductions of the plastic piece were made using a material that wasn't strong enough to withstand the movement over time. Tom spent a lot of time testing various plastic compounds to come up with a piece that if properly adjusted would last. He had many of the prototypes with him at the 2018 BASH this year when he gave a talk on this. I have a few of the prototypes in the hutch here at home. Tom retired and closed Tiger Tom's but Rick's are still made using a better compound. I have Tom's units in my switches and are adjusted according to his tips and I haven't had one break for years. There are still many parts out there that are junk and they will break so be careful what you buy.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Bill,
Over the years it has been found that many reproductions of the plastic piece were made using a material that wasn't strong enough to withstand the movement over time. Tom spent a lot of time testing various plastic compounds to come up with a piece that if properly adjusted would last. He had many of the prototypes with him at the 2018 BASH this year when he gave a talk on this. I have a few of the prototypes in the hutch here at home. Tom retired and closed Tiger Tom's but Rick's are still made using a better compound. I have Tom's units in my switches and are adjusted according to his tips and I haven't had one break for years. There are still many parts out there that are junk and they will break so be careful what you buy.
Mine do not break. They simply become too weak.

Bill