• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

West Coast Invasion 2018

bing

Donation Time
I think I can safely say that the wives enjoyed the weekend as well! We especially liked the wine and cheese hour in the comfy Bluebird lobby before going out for supper. We had an amazing and unexpected surprise when Harry and Meaghan took time off from their wedding reception to join us for dinner at Linn's!!sunbeam group22.jpg

Lunch at Ragged Point Inn:

sunbeam 1.jpg

A pretty drive to Linn's Berry Farm where we enjoyed samples of berry jams, pies, and candy in a serene setting:

sunbeam2.jpg

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
It was a wonderful weekend for the Stones of Southampton! Great company and great scenery! Harry and Meaghan were just icing on the cake. If at all possible, Kathy and I would love to do it again with you next year!

I think Barb Blue was our unofficial photographer and am looking forward to seeing some of her photos when she and Bill finally touch down. In the meantime, here are a couple of photos from San Simeon Beach:

upload_2018-5-22_20-47-9.pngupload_2018-5-22_20-46-13.png

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Bing wrote: "SAOCA president Jim Stone and wife Kathy flew in from New York and celebrated their 40th wedding anniversary!"

Looking forward to Jim's Tech Tip write-up on orchestrating this.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Looking forward to Jim's Tech Tip write-up on orchestrating this.
Long time members of the Club may remember when we had a contest to find the coolest spouse in the Club (probably about 20 years ago). What you may not recall is that Kathy won. So, orchestrating it wasn't as difficult as it might seem. Still, I will report that it helped to sandwich the Invasion between two halves of the anniversary trip: Monterey Bay and Yosemite Park. Coolest spouse or not, making our anniversary trip all about the Invasion might have been a bridge too far.
IMG_3759.JPG
IMG_3759.JPG

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Indeed; congratulations. And great pic, too.
On the cool spouse front, I recall Kathy stepping in and meeting me somewhere in Ohio to complete delivery of an Alpine engine I purchased. Helped me wrestle it from the pickup to my car. She is, in fact, freakishly strong as well. :)

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Nice PIC's... Sure looks as if the weather was very enjoyable. Now whos' Alpines?

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
The weather was COLD, lower 60's, hence all the sweaters and jackets. The white Alpine is Kelly's, the green one is Kevin's (birdfan56) and the red one is Bing's. The orange one belongs to some jackass from Indiana.

Bill

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks for the identification... I was suspecting the White One was the Kelly Machine, The Green as Kevin's (Tbird), The Red was a guess for me as a "Bing". Would never have guessed the proud owners of the Orange Bomb:).

Seems as I have seen that one around the country from Va to Ga, SC to Tx and a lot of stops in between.

That is one more fast Alpine:) Out ran the Scoop

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
You can extend the range to upper New York, the Gulf and Montana.

Fast, yes. That fast? No. Two of the hold down bolts pulled out of the scoop while we were in Phoenix, so we stopped, removed the other two bolts and proceeded with the scoop safely stored in the trunk. The passenger side window cracked, the fuel pressure regulator made a terrible sound and the rear axle howled like a banshee in the desert heat. For a couple of days, I thought the alternator was going out, but when it dropped to ten volts, I knew it was only the voltmeter.

Just a few things to keep your interest up while on a long trip.

Bill

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
OK, I'm going to stick my neck out here real far, and just hope I don't get it chopped off.

I, because I was involved in the 2017 California invasion, had very big expectations for 2018.
I had expected a turnout of a minimum of 14 cars from the people I queried.
Because of my own personal problems, I bowed out of 2018. Therefore sat on the sidelines and gave no input on the 2018 invasion.

Let me say that no blame except for my not opening my mouth is pointed at anyone. I was typing up many daily notices on the 2017 invasion, pushing, pushing, pushing. Yeah, I got a big active mouth.

So, to have 4 cars show up for the 2018 was to me a real kick in the teeth and disappointment for me. (Yes, I understand you had a good time.)

OK, so where's the neck sticking out going? I am volunteering to head the 2019 invasion, and I plan on not necessarily having it up in Cambria at all.
I think I can get a lot more interest down here in So. California, and I'm being blunt with you Northerners, Yeah, it's a drive.
One of the big programs would be a trip to the Peterson Museum. There are so many interesting and exciting places to be and see in Southern California.
Can't see doing the Cambria area more than twice as far as I'm concerned. What's to see, what's to drive? Hey, this is California, we got a bunch of Sunbeams here, I mean a bunch. 4 cars?

OK, there it is. Up to you all now.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
OK, I'm going to stick my neck out here real far, and just hope I don't get it chopped off.

I, because I was involved in the 2017 California invasion, had very big expectations for 2018.
I had expected a turnout of a minimum of 14 cars from the people I queried.
Because of my own personal problems, I bowed out of 2018. Therefore sat on the sidelines and gave no input on the 2018 invasion.

Let me say that no blame except for my not opening my mouth is pointed at anyone. I was typing up many daily notices on the 2017 invasion, pushing, pushing, pushing. Yeah, I got a big active mouth.

So, to have 4 cars show up for the 2018 was to me a real kick in the teeth and disappointment for me. (Yes, I understand you had a good time.)

OK, so where's the neck sticking out going? I am volunteering to head the 2019 invasion, and I plan on not necessarily having it up in Cambria at all.
I think I can get a lot more interest down here in So. California, and I'm being blunt with you Northerners, Yeah, it's a drive.
One of the big programs would be a trip to the Peterson Museum. There are so many interesting and exciting places to be and see in Southern California.
Can't see doing the Cambria area more than twice as far as I'm concerned. What's to see, what's to drive? Hey, this is California, we got a bunch of Sunbeams here, I mean a bunch. 4 cars?

OK, there it is. Up to you all now.

In Southern California you may drag in some Arizona members

seriesIIIgt

Platinum Level Sponsor
Ok Jim
Any ldea on the timeline for next year trying to block out the week for driving down from
Northern Calif

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
There's been no interest in this at all. Certainly no discussion on it, so I'm bailing out on it. Sorry guys and gals. I guess it's Cambria again if Bing carries on with it.

bing

Donation Time
The original idea of selecting the central coast was that it is centrally located midway, more or less,between northern and southern California. That seems to be the most fair. But, maybe the members should decide. All of you folks who came the last year or two please chime in.

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
Bing, you did a good job the last couple of years, everyone only has good things to say. You've already got most of the work done for that area. And you're right, it is a good meeting point.
I say Proceed on, I'll show up if possible.