• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

New Fabricated Parts ?

65beam

Donation Time
On a quick search, this one looks pretty close, minus the engraving. (Not OEM perfect, of course.) On a bulk engraving order, custom nomenclature of either term would still result in a pretty cost-effective part, when you start with $1.38 unit cost. (Beware the $9+ shipping though. Bulk order/negotiated shipping would be best.)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...22d8-593c-a558-f25ba562d2bb&pf_rd_i=979119011
Ken,
I ordered one of these T handles. I'll compare it to an original when it arrives. I'm curious about the curvature of it.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
A few years back Cactusmasher and I got some bar stock and copied the bends from a Tiger hood release rod then threaded the ends to accept the arm on the hood release. We threaded on a pull handle available at any hardware store. Works great.

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
How about a photo of that pull handle Nick? What is it made of? I don't trust plastic! Dan R makes a nice repro hood pull and the hard to find end that connects to the hood latch. Dan go ahead and get some strong alloy handles made-and put me down for a few of them! Eric

65beam

Donation Time
Ken,
I ordered one of these T handles. I'll compare it to an original when it arrives. I'm curious about the curvature of it.
The T handle that Ken mentioned showed up on the front porch today. Ordered it yesterday A.M. It is a nice piece and is the same style with a slight difference in the curvature of the T but appears to be much stronger since it is slightly larger. It has a threaded insert that is 1/4-28 threads. I wouldn't hesitate to use it due to the fact that it would take a lot of effort to break it and it is the same style. The old Kodak didn't take good photos but they're good enough to get the idea of the comparison of an original and the new.109_0954.JPG 109_0957.JPG

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
That does look close! I wonder how much it would cost to have BONNET engraved on it?

p.s. Bob: you really need to invest in a new camera! :)

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have not responded to all the comments just yet because we are trying to finalize the knob (s).

I have one of those Bob posted and due to Prior Public comments I received much earlier (last year) made clear they wanted something "closer" to the original. That is why I started looking again.

We are also trying to perfect the lettering on the knob. I believe we have the best that can be done coming soon.

I will have both the slip on knob as original as possible (a tight fitting one with a bit of glue for better retention) OR as an option, it can be easily drilled for a small hole & a roll pin if the purchaser wishes. Lettering will be: BONNET with white letters a tad larger than the small stock Alpine stock letters.

Working also on doing the 1/4 - 28 threaded knob, same letter:BONNET and colour: white with looks and shape as original as possible.

And as Eric commented a metal handle might be another option (stainless steel polished with the "BONNET: lettering ?

Stay tuned. Surprise! Surprise!

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
The T handle that Ken mentioned showed up on the front porch today. Ordered it yesterday A.M. It is a nice piece and is the same style with a slight difference in the curvature of the T but appears to be much stronger since it is slightly larger. It has a threaded insert that is 1/4-28 threads. I wouldn't hesitate to use it due to the fact that it would take a lot of effort to break it and it is the same style. The old Kodak didn't take good photos but they're good enough to get the idea of the comparison of an original and the new.View attachment 10105 View attachment 10106
Bob, I believe the knob in the upper picture you posted even though a bit blurry, has the hole &roll pin? am I correct?

65beam

Donation Time
Dan,
It's one I bought in the U.K. and it does have the roll pin. It also does not have the gloss finish of an original. My new camera should have a good battery charge so I'll see if I can get a better photo.

65beam

Donation Time
Dan,
A better photo that shows the pin. Disregard the wire. I do that to hang the unit on the peg board hook.110_0216.JPG

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
A little more info on the knobs. Still working on getting them near perfection. The one in the PIC is for slip and glue or roll pin, which ever desire for fastening. Next will be a threaded knob 1/4 dia 20 or 28 threads per inch. Then some of stainless? and aluminum? Maybe powder coated?

Here is the Company doing my BONNET release knobs: https://www.facebook.com/pg/centerlinees/posts/?ref=page_internal

65beam

Donation Time
A little more info on the knobs. Still working on getting them near perfection. The one in the PIC is for slip and glue or roll pin, which ever desire for fastening. Next will be a threaded knob 1/4 dia 20 or 28 threads per inch. Then some of stainless? and aluminum? Maybe powder coated?

Here is the Company doing my BONNET release knobs: https://www.facebook.com/pg/centerlinees/posts/?ref=page_internal
Dan,
The after market I showed has 1/4-28 threads.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Dan,
The after market I showed has 1/4-28 threads.

Yes! I saw that! The reason I made the comment on the different threads (1/4 - 20 and 28) was the rods I make are mostly 1/4 - 20 on the end where it fastens to the latch under the Bonnet. The reason I'm currently using the 1/4 20 is that is the only "square nut I have been able to find. I did not want to mix the different threads on the rod (with 20 threads on one end and 28 threads on the other).

I have experimented with the 1/4 - 20 threads on both ends of my rod and tried to obtain an appropriate knob (close to original) with 1/4 - 20 threads of which I am currently utilizing one in my Blue Boy V6. I have received some good comments, yet, some made comments "that is not an original!!" Of which usually respond with: "No, not original but functional".....

It all boils down to what someone wants.... I am attempting to provide something that will satisfy (?).

Guess I could just make/form the rod and the piece (slider) that fastens to the latch and let the buyer do the other end ? Lots of options:)

Pictured is an example of SV cable pull (knob broken) and a rod with an after market knob (did not like the knob) on one end and the "Slider" I had fabricated on the other. One of the sliders is lain out flat for a good view before forming!

Attachments

• hood release rod  20161023_110757.jpg
    hood release rod 20161023_110757.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 21

65beam

Donation Time
Dan,
Scroll back to page one of this thread and Ken posted the Amazon listing. Speaking of Ken, where is he? He hasn't posted in months.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Dan, I can probably supply you with 1/4-28 square nuts or you can purchase them from McMaster-Carr, less than $9.00/100, plus shipping.

Bob, Ken periodically drops out of sight, sometimes for years. He will suddenly go from a high level of activity to zero.
Bill

Last edited:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Bill, I would like to get both the Square and hex nuts 1/4-28

$9.00+shipping for each is a better deal than I have found else where.

I need the hex to "lock" the square in place. May even need the hex for the knob by the time I'm through experimenting:)

I'll go back to McMasterCarr!