• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

New Fabricated Parts ?

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Several Guys have asked about the availability of the knob for the hood release on the Alpine....while I have attempted to locate a vendor that offered one that was "original" or atleast close to original, my luck is running at zero!

I have however fund a Gent that owns a manufacturing outfit that is willing to produce as close to an original as he can. I am to pick one up next week sometime and check it out.

Have no idea as to cost yet. But, the more produced, usually the less cost per unit.

Anyone here that might be interested, please let me know. Looking for those Guys & Gals that would like a replacement knob, then maybe we can determine an approximate cost.

I have several different Alpine Hood release knobs and all vary slightly in size and shape from SI thru SV Some are labelled "HOOD" and some have "BONNET" even a couple are blank so I assume the label simply wore off ?

I'll post a PIC or two when I get a sample.

Thanks,

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
CAT has a gent who makes the heater control knobs for the later Alpine/Tiger . I think he will do the hood pulls too.

65beam

Donation Time
Dan,
The later cars did not have "Bonnet" on them. Some of the knobs were a press on style while the late ones had a roll pin that held them on the rod. The repros I bought in the U.K. had the hole for the pin.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Bob, I have what appears to be 4 or 5 different designs of the release/pull knobs.

2 with "HOOD"
3 with "BONNET
2 with the roll pin
3 with just a slip fit
At least 3 have very, very slightly different shapes, Yet all are black.

Anyone wanting or even interested in a replacement please let me know, thanks

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Dan,

Will the knobs be attachable to the earlier solid rod hood release mechanism? I have an original solid rod mechanism from an earlier car. I have considered installing it in my series V to replace the pull cable. My hesitation has been the knob - rod mismatch. My series V pull knob has 'BONNET' engraved.

Thanks,
Mike

65beam

Donation Time
Dan,
I've never seen one with "HOOD " on it. Post a photo when you have time. I have six or so with nothing on them and you're right about the different shapes. Some seem to have a taper to the pieces to wrap your finger around and form a small point on the ends and others are more blunt and seem to be heavier. The ones I have with "bonnet" on them have the tapered pieces. The fastbacks like my 69 had the hood pull located on the right side kick panel and had the small tapered ends. All four of my 69's have had the handle broken. Since they have a cable running to the center of the radiator support panel I found a couple of the cables for opening the front bonnet of an Imp. It has a very large handle with a key to lock it so it can't be pulled. You may have seen it but if not here's a photo showing it just below the package tray. I leave the keys in it. I really need to take a photo showing the new dash. This one was sold to Bob B in Georgia.100_0256.JPG

65beam

Donation Time
Dan,

Will the knobs be attachable to the earlier solid rod hood release mechanism? I have an original solid rod mechanism from an earlier car. I have considered installing it in my series V to replace the pull cable. My hesitation has been the knob - rod mismatch. My series V pull knob has 'BONNET' engraved.

Thanks,
Mike
mike,
Jean's series 5 has the rod with the knob having nothing on it.100_0565.JPG

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
What I have seen, having owned Series 3-V cars, is that the Series 3 and IV have the rod to open the bonnet and have nothing on them.
The Series V's I've had , and I've had 4 of them including my present car, had the cable pull which had "bonnet" imprinted on it.
The Series II that I just finished also was blank. The only conclusion I can draw is that the later cars, Series V's, with the cable pull
were the only Alpines to have "bonnet" on the handle.

Cheers!
Steve

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Dan-would be nice if your friend could cast them from alloy and then the solid pull rod could be tapped for threads and the new knob then screwed onto it. Easier and stronger than using a roll pin as per stock.....Eric

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I plan on the knobs to be attachable to the earlier solid rod hood release mechanism!

I'll post a photo of the one with "HOOD " on it when I get it back from my Guy doing the knobs. As a matter of fact I planned to post PIC's of all samples.

It'd be nice to find out the price and availability of the ones from the U.K. that had the hole for the roll pin.

The plan is to also have some made that have the 1/4 - 28 threads for fastening. Not sure how many different styles yet? Trying to keep in mind the Purist however, I don't think I can get that good:)

Production will depend on demand....as an example the rod and other pieces of the puzzle in the attached PIC is part of an effort to help the Sunbeam Owners.

NOTE: The knob in the picture is rather bulky. Not at all what I will end up with....

Attachments

• Hood Release Rod by DanR 20161023_110757.jpg
    Hood Release Rod by DanR 20161023_110757.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 34

65beam

Donation Time
Eric,
Good idea! They could either be painted or possibly powder coat. It's not easy to drill the rod and handle

65beam

Donation Time
I plan on the knobs to be attachable to the earlier solid rod hood release mechanism!

I'll post a photo of the one with "HOOD " on it when I get it back from my Guy doing the knobs. As a matter of fact I planned to post PIC's of all samples.

It'd be nice to find out the price and availability of the ones from the U.K. that had the hole for the roll pin.

Dan,
I think they were a small run and there aren't any for sale now.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I kinda figured they were long gone!

I have tried for several years to find a "nice" substitute with zero results.

Maybe more talk/discussion will help

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
Dan-would be nice if your friend could cast them from alloy and then the solid pull rod could be tapped for threads and the new knob then screwed onto it. Easier and stronger than using a roll pin as per stock.....Eric
We did that years ago tapping the rod 1/4 20 machined the pull out of ally!

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Rod vs cable
As the story I've heard goes cables have failed so many with later cars switch to earlier solid rod pulls.
Having had the not fun time of opening a hood with a stuck latch it's eade to understand why someone would change. I like the bonnet handle better looks wise.
Maybe we should try to get on the same page with parts making so as not to compete with each other on the club level. The history of some parts is like the Rootes Tiger side badges, really good and really average parts available, or whatever S.S. can get built.

I've not been successful getting out the roll pin or freeing up a stuck on handle. Rusted and brittle and lack of patience have stopped me trying to separate the parts. The complete rods have a high survival rate like the top frames.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
What I have seen, having owned Series 3-V cars, is that the Series 3 and IV have the rod to open the bonnet and have nothing on them.
The Series V's I've had , and I've had 4 of them including my present car, had the cable pull which had "bonnet" imprinted on it.
The Series II that I just finished also was blank. The only conclusion I can draw is that the later cars, Series V's, with the cable pull
were the only Alpines to have "bonnet" on the handle.

Cheers!
Steve
In 1963, my early Series II hood pull had "Bonnet" printed on it. It got a lot of comments. It seems the most consistent thing with these cars is their inconsistency.

Bill

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Warren, I put out feelers more than a year ago for the rod & other components for sale with only one taker.

I figured it was because of the knob? That is why I'm pursuing the fabrication route. ...

If some one else wants to fab'm I have no objections.

Definitely a lot of stuff could be done!

Bill Eisinger

Platinum Level Sponsor
Dan - I would definitely take a replacement if available. I'd vote for the "Bonnet" label if possible mostly just to retain the British flavor.