• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Passenger door hinges

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Searching for all passenger side door hinges for a 1963 series 3.

Race, I don't have any hinges for sale, but my engineer friend helped me find components that can be utilized to replace/rebuild the worn hinge/pins.

I'll try to dig out the info for you, just remind me in a day or so,

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Race, Here are a few PIC's of the pieces we came up with to make repairs to the Alpine door hinges.

I ordered from McMaster-Carr.

The bearings (five) to the package are oilite bearings 5/16x3/8x1 inch (.3135/.3125 x .377/.376 x 1 )
Part Number: AA306-10B Their web site: www.oilite.com

The steel rod is 0.311 x 12" it is a special lubricated.

Trying to find the part number.

Hope this helps,

Attachments

• 20180328_103825.jpg
    20180328_103825.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 62
  • 20180328_103837.jpg
    20180328_103837.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 62
  • 20180328_105304.jpg
    20180328_105304.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 62

Hoghead

Silver Level Sponsor
I also have been doing a bit of homework:
The hinge likely will have to go to a milling machine to bore for new pin, so not much more to bore for an Oilite bushing.
https://oilite.com/product/AA306-10B

Then it is a simple matter to use tool steel rod for the pin. Fastnal have .3215" OD rod to ASTM A681
https://www.fastenal.com/product?query=47768&fsi=1

Bush id is .3125 +/- zero
Shaft OD is .3125 +/- .0005"
So easy enough to fit pin into the Oilite bearing and have a zero slop hinge, with a replaceable bushing

Not sure if a thrust washer is needed between hinge halves. I cannot find an appropriate flanged Oilite bushing
Anyone know the size of a thrust washer?

Also as the drill rod pin is not splined at the top to prevent working its way out, one might need a set screw to retain the pin??
Sunbeam Spares UK pins are splined

Maybe a hybrid for best of both worlds? Splined pins from Sunbeam Spares in the UK, and an Oilite bush.
Sunbeam Spares lists pin OD as 8mm. I have asked Stuart to confirm the exact OD of his pins in order to choose an appropriate metric Oilite bushing

Last edited:

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
Dan; will your fix work on series Five also? my doors are sloppy and chipping the paint on the body.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Dan; will your fix work on series Five also? my doors are sloppy and chipping the paint on the body.

Works for my SIV's and SV's.....Don't own any of the other Series so I can'e say that they will work for certain on them, but should....