• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Congratulations!

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
Copy (5) of 66 Tiger 003.jpg Congratulations To Greg Feist, Todd Nordby and all others who contributed time, energy, and expertise to bring this new improved site to all SAOCA members and users. Well done!

Very easy to upload photos Thanks Greg & Todd

Last edited:

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Well done guys! I know this was an incredible amount of work. This will benefit the Club and all Sunbeam owners for many years to come. THANKS!

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
I know this is trivial, but what happened with the avatars? They are fuzzy and seem to be larger than the area they are displayed in (blown up) and cut off at the edges.

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
Also, signature pics are gone.

It looks like some of the images and references didn't migrate, sorry about that. I thought that worked when we did the test, I'll try to figure out what happened; but at this point you'll probably have to redo it.

ToddN

Platinum Level Sponsor
Just making a test post here with a non-Admin account to check Edit Post options...

ToddN

Platinum Level Sponsor
Yep, non-Admin edit rights are missing. One moment.

[edit] OK you should have rights to edit your posts now Mike.

Last edited:

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
While I like the new forum, it looks like a method I used to use for pictures has backfired. I keep my pictures on my desktop. I don't keep them online. So when I went to put pictures into saoca.org threads, I would upload the picture and it would be a thumbnail and attachment. I later realized that when I would click on the fingernail, it would take me to the web saved picture. I would then highlight that web address and insert it into the thread. This would put the picture into the body of the posting. But then I'd delete the fingernail attachment because it became duplicative. Now it looks like all those pictures have disappeared!

Here is an example of the address of a picture I attached to a thread at one point: http://sunbeamalpine.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8157&d=1505317402

(I don't know what this is. I just went through my browser history to find one to copy and paste here. Clicking on it doesn't work anymore).

Is this irretrievably lost now? I haven't done it this way that many times. So perhaps it's not a big deal.

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
(Upon review, if folks think this is worthwhile, maybe move it to the 'how do I' section rather than here under "Congrats"... which are richly deserved, by the way.)

First test post.
View media item 1
When it posts, it's just a link with no thumbnail image. Image taken from "Your Media" that I uploaded this morning... To do it, I clicked the "camera" icon which says "Media Gallery Embed" You end up viewing it in the Media section of the site.

Next test:
5889-9880d4eabd51a86618875584cce396e9.jpg

For that one above, I inserted as "Image" using the landscape icon. Somewhat larger than thumbnail-sized posting, but not 'clickable' for full-size image.

Next tried to embed media, but this site is not allowed as a source site. Probably meant for videos, though.

Here's a winner:
IMG_0069.JPG

On the above attempt, I clicked "more options" down below (I was in Edit mode) and uploaded a file by selection from my desktop, then clicked 'thumbnail' button in the upload dialog, then either save or upload (don't remember). The code looks like this: {ATTACH}8498{/ATTACH} except with square brackets instead of curly. (There's likely a way to do this directly, while not being in edit mode...)

Now I'll try one like above, but without thumbnail, just the photo...Avatar2.jpg

Well, that's pretty huge.
The code only differs in that it says {ATTACH=full} in the first bit, with square brackets, of course. I chose a different photo because the dialog window was offering both the new and old upload of the same photo, and I didn't want to confuse the matter...

Now for a drag-and-drop trial:
IMG_0123.JPG
Yup, seems to work as the two examples above. Just dragged the file icon to the edit window, and image shows up as thumbnail. Not a link; not clickable.

So, wait a minute. Literally. In the time it took to write the 'doesn't work' screed below, it began working. Don't know if that's because of multiple saves of edits, or it takes a bit for the database to catch up, or whatever. But in both cases, the thumbnail is now clickable as a link. When your mouse hovers over it, a drop-shadow appears, and it overlays the full-size image when you click on it. So all is good, operationally, but not retro-actively for Jay's posts.

It might be that you have to wait for some background process to happen.

The bracketed stuff below can probably be disregarded, in light of the above developments...
Went back into this image, and saved the link of the thumbnail above. It is this:
5893-8434192a7a9986e108cb6a15e40df9f5.jpg
It is clickable within the site, but resolves to the thumbnail-size image.
So getting it to work "the way it used to" for you, with clickable thumbnails, seems like it's something the end-user can't make happen... unless I've missed something. You can manually put a link right next to the thumbnail, but making the thumbnail the link itself looks like something I can't do.

I didn't do any manual re-sizing for these images, except for the head-on shot which was the source for my avatar. It looks like it's 'taken care of' by the site's import mechanism, which is a welcome thing. They're all big/hi-res shots.

Jay, I tried to get back to your example, but site won't let me go there... Maybe you have to find the new 'label' for your original uploaded photos, or maybe the 'database' needs to find/index them. Guessing here... I'd give it a day to see if it adjusts itself.

The upshot is:
The upload file option gives you the choice of saving directly as a thumbnail, or directly as a "full-size" image; both are clickable links.

Clicking on thumbnail when uploading displays the full-size image.

Clicking on "full-size" when uploading displays a fuller-size image.

Haven't looked at the size difference, but there might be a limit for within-threads that doesn't exist as a straight upload. I know when I click on the head-on shot of the green Alpine, the image gets slightly larger.

I wonder if the link-only, clickable-thumbnail, and clickable-full-size impact your storage quota differently, if the base image is the same. Or if pictures within links even have that quota. Could be the quota is for your Albums and Media only. Hmmm...

The Albums should be a big hit with guys doing longer resto projects. They can upload all to their Album, then call out individual pics within various threads about the project. Reader can click link and/or go to Album for more detail or more images.

Last edited:

Greggers

SAOCA Vice President
Platinum Level Sponsor
The way the new system works, you can simply drag and drop the image into the Reply box. For example, I dragged the blue car image below into the Reply box a the bottom of the page. I didn't have to worry about any URLs or anything. Just drag and drop. Alternatively, I could click on the Upload a File button just below these words (when I was typing them, not when you were reading them). That's what the white car attachment was. I have the option to make either one or both thumbnails (much like attachments were on the old site) OR make either or both into full images, which would place them in with the text as full-sized images.

Once they're attachments at the bottom of my edit window, I can drag the thumbnail into the reply box.
5895-d1593ea29f9510fa4558d79f0487c1fa.jpg
For example, that white car image was the thumbnail dragged into the window. But that doesn't seem very useful, so I wouldn't bother with it unless I wanted to do a post that showed a process and hinted at which attachment to look at without making the how to all cluttered with full-size images.

The red car was dragged and dropped in. Then I clicked on the Full Image button. Then I dragged it to where I wanted it to be in relation to the text.P1090132.jpg

Attachments

• Side View.jpg
    Side View.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 8
  • FrontSide.jpg
    FrontSide.jpg
    423.6 KB · Views: 6

65beam

Donation Time
Why does it take you to the first post of a thread? It may be easier to post photos but if there are several pages of the post why scroll thru everything to find out what someone said 5 minutes ago? Along with everything others have said. Those are the facts.

Greggers

SAOCA Vice President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Why does it take you to the first post of a thread? It may be easier to post photos but if there are several pages of the post why scroll thru everything to find out what someone said 5 minutes ago? Along with everything others have said. Those are the facts.

That’s strange. It takes me directly to the latest post. The issue could be that if it’s your first time going through a thread on the new forum, it could be treating all the posts as ones you’ve never read before. The problem should solve itself as you log more time. If it doesn’t, let me know and I’ll investigate further.

Greggers

SAOCA Vice President
Platinum Level Sponsor
We'll see as time goes on.

Now that I think about it, you can speed up the process by clicking "Mark All Forums Read" at the top in the navigation bar, just south of the logo. If you feel you're up to date on reading everything, go ahead and click that. Then when new posts pop up, it should take you right to them.