• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Clayton Dewandre

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Took me years to find a used Clayton Dewandre Brake Servo but it's in need of a complete rebuild. Just if anybody still has a rebuild Kit lying around

65beam

Donation Time
rebuild kit

The last person known to have any rebuild kits was Tiger Tom in Pa. He shut down probably 15 years ago. I know there was at least one rebuild kit for the LeMans he never restored and the kits were probably sold along with the car and all of the parts to Napa 1 in Ca. check with him to see if he found a source for kits. the booster with my RHD car was rebuilt by Ian before selling the car so it may not work when I get the car together. I did take it apart and it looks to be the normal rubber parts so you may be able to find those parts. I've been told it was used on some tractors, etc in the UK so you might be able to track down parts from farm suppliers.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Thanks for the hints guys. Will check with Napa1 and Land Rover/ Farm suppliers accordingly. Haven' t Seen a Kit on offer for years. Should have bought one when they were still available. Really rare Birds those early Servos...

NN LeMans

Donation Time
Clayton Dewandre Brake Booster

Try www.rootesparts.com. They at one time had C-D NOS (but old) boosters for sale. I do not know if they had the rebuild kits, but they may be able to provide some leads.

NN LeMans

65beam

Donation Time
booster

Thanks Jim. Like several of you, I've been around since this thing started but if it's a name or something that doesn't require daily attention it goes to the archives. modifications have already been done to the C/D booster for the RHD car so it will be a trouble free booster and will never need repairs.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Tried Rootes parts already but unfortunately they don't do rebuild Kits. Paul Norton might be good even though he hasn' t been active for while. Will make a post on U K Forum accordingly...

Limey

Donation Time
servo

Took me years to find a used Clayton Dewandre Brake Servo but it's in need of a complete rebuild. Just if anybody still has a rebuild Kit lying around

Hi Bernd.

Paul Norton was impossible to pin down so I gave up after 4 years and a few emails back and forth (though he was my first choice).

I don't think anyone sells just the kits anymore because they are so rare and they also want you to pay them to refurb the unit rather than you do-it-yourself. That was my experience so I sent mine to the re-builders.

(These servos were used on early Land Rovers as well so a search of their forums might help)

Really helpful company

www.classic-spares.co.uk

ian at classic-spares.co.uk

Classic Spares
Fore Street
Kenton
Devon
England
EX6 8LF

Ihave a freshly rebuilt and re-sleeved CDW servo with a guarantee of workmanship certificate from them. I don't plan to fit my rebuilt unit anymore so PM me if interested.

Oliver

Last edited:

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Oliver,

tried a lot of Potential sources as well but none can help. I' m specifically annoyed about some guy in the trade who still has NOS but refused to part with it. That's a new experience for me in the normally nice Sunbeam followership. Anyway appreciate your Info and Links . Also thought to send him my unit for a complete rebuild but i f you have one will send you a PM at first...

napa 1

Donation Time
Bernd, I do have an NOS kit, but need it to rebuild my unit. However, if you could use it to create reproduction or for reference, you are welcome to it. I probably won't get around to rebuilding it for a while anyway. ;) (seat covers are in the mail, and that original carpet kit that Limey was referring to, was mine, so if you need that, just have him send it to you).

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Update : Ultimately I found a nice Clayton Dewandre NOS servo in UK. Not really cheap but anyhow. Feel happy...

Limey

Donation Time
OK - Thanks to Clive Pocock (much Kudos to him) for lending me his NOS set. (the last one in the world, almost) I believe that I have found a supplier of all the crucial seals.. Some are not in stock at the moment due to Covid. Importantly they have listed the tiny piston seals 8x2 x 4mm. Up till now unobtanium. I had a company in France but not EPDM. The main piston seals are not rare but up til now only available as part of a kit for something else. I have their list of every seal ever made by the big brake servo makers and it lists dims and has drawings. The CDW seals are all there so I am confident that I am on target. Significantly this supplier sells each seal individually so I have high hopes of creating a full kit of seals.

I have found a manufacturer in India that specializes in just servo diaphragms both automotive and industrial. I have yet to make contact but hope he has patterns that will work. His website shows pics of almost identical diaphragms and the specs therein indicates that it is possible.

The O rings are easy and already ordered.

I have also sourced the tiny Eclips that hold those tiny seals in place. Also I have a source for the SS Fillister head screws which lets face it will be nneded as the originals will need drilling out and thread inserts fitted.

The two square cut O rings (the one that joins the two halves of the main 'clam') are not listed and I cannot find them as stock anywhere but I hope to have these as lathed off tube in the UK. As you know I have made this search into a mission. Perhaps I am nearly there. I will keep you posted. The down side is that the smaller the seal the more expensive they get. I do not care ;).

Speak soon

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Clive the tall man. Tell him my best regards. I sold him a D- Series Harrington interior some years before :)

Sounds as if you are close to the breakthrough for CDW kits. Amazing attention to the details. Put me in for at least 2 kits...

napa 1

Donation Time
I also have a NOS kit, but would need a few replacements for some of the pieces that have deteriorated over time on the shelf, so would be interested in a kit as well when ready. Thanks for doing all the work and research.

Hewi

Bronze Level Sponsor
Hi
Just catching up after a long absence. Two things. Could I add my name to the list for a kit when it comes and also add my appreciation for all your research efforts. Secondly does anyone know how to remove the spacer in order to gain access to the piston chamber ? See photo

Attachments

• DSC06092.JPG
    DSC06092.JPG
    279.9 KB · Views: 21