• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

David Kellogg's Harrington Alpine

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Moving along (seems slowly) on the Sunbeam Harrington Alpine restoration, for David Kellogg. The engine compartment was painted a few days ago and it looks nice (FINALLY!)
Today, I wanted to paint the passenger compartment & boot areas. And this started with about 2 hours of sanding and then masking. Painting the color took about 2 more hours and I think it came out okay.
Now to mask off the newly painted areas and start refinishing the exterior surfaces. I hope to be done in about 2-3 weeks.
The weather is PERFECT for doing the painting.......jan
after_painting.jpg

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Nice to see that project coming along Jan. I didn't realize it would be Moonstone?

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
After a lot of block sanding the high spots and filling the low spots, it's leveled out pretty nice now.
You can see the high spots (red primer) coming through the gray primer. The filler is the light green material. Then another coat of surfacing primer, sand and then the topcoat. I might get it top coated later this week.
Jan

fill_sand_done.jpg

Last edited:

65beam

Donation Time
harrington

a photo of the restoration of a right hand drive LeMans that was previously owned by ian spencer.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Thanks Paul.
After a lot more block sanding yesterday (about 4-5 hours, time goes by quickly), I was able to spray the 1st finish coat of paint today. I'll let it harden a day or so and wet sand the whole body with 320/400 sandpaper. Then spray a 2nd coat using my large, siphon spray gun (not the HVLP gun...don't like it much. It's more of a hose than a spray gun!)......jan
9-15-2015.jpg

Last edited:

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Jan, you have inspired me to get out to the shop and re-engage in the Lyrad project.

Attachments

• IMG_5227.jpg
    IMG_5227.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 72

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
I painted the inside surface of the doors, hood & deck lid for the Sunbeam body that I have been restoring here at the workshop. It doesn't look like much, but all the work in the preparation work (that you can't see). Now, I see a lot of people respray with basecoat/clearcoat, and I don't know why. I have always used a "single stage" urethane (Glasurit) paint. Now, if there's any repair to be done (either orange peel, runs, whatever it is), it's very easy to do the spot repair. Just sand out the area and spray it (using a touch-up gun). The Glasurit blends so wonderfully, it great. You can't do that with a two-stage paint (its not that easy).
Jan
09-25-2015_doors_sm.jpg

65beam

Donation Time
harrington

jan,
have you taken a look at the photos of the lemans restoration posted on the cat forum? it has a clear coat. our series 5, series 4 and the 69 don't have clear coats either which does make it easier to repair goof ups that may occur while putting the car together. the RHD lemans will not have a clear coat either. FYI, I have a couple boxes of parts for dave's car.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
A lot of the imperfections of the topcoat that would require repair (small runs and especially orange peel) will be hidden under clearcoat. Orange peel in the clearcoat is easily sanded and buffed out. Also, any paint damage that does not penetrate the clearcoat is easily repaired. Especially important with metallics.

Can't do that with single stage.

Bill

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Yeah, metallic paints are a different story, and I would ONLY use basecoat/clearcoat in that case.
Jan

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Ian & I moved the Harrington from my shop to his shop. Most all of the painting I finished up last September 2015. I did install the running gear & so on, this year to get it on its wheels, so we can move it.
The paint color isn't Moonstone, but it's Arctic White, thats what the owner wanted. The interior will be red.
Jan
sunbeam-move-day.jpg

cdk84

Donation Time
Jan has been doing a phenomenal job on the Harrington project. He developed a method for rebuilding the door hinges and has made several body-working innovations during this restoration. Great work, Jan!

Harrington Jan

Donation Time
I agree to everything said about this, but it was not a Harrington from the beginning made by Harrington Ltd so it's a Harrpine like some more known Alpines with Harrington roofs.

65beam

Donation Time
harrington

Jan,
Shall we start a list of "harripines" ? I can give you the locations of 5 very well known cars .

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Me too. Whether "Harrpine" or not. What should one do if he has all the parts of a rotten car. Put it in the dump? As long as the story is told correctly and people don't ask crazy money at least I'm fine with it...