• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Vehicle Numbers

Shawn 63 Estate

Donation Time
I have found 3 tags under the hood on the front of the radiator support. I believe the right tag of the other two is the vehicle ID. Left column from top down is "B" "57" "8" middle section has 1 set of numbers, "1326575 H" and third column has 2 sets "LUX" and "SB". Can someone help decipher this alpha numeric script? I cannot find the numbers which reference production build date.

The middle tag is very simple, a narrow tag with 1 set of characters. " MEFO 205196".

The left tag has all the Hillman Motor Car Co LTD Coventry England operating details such as engine temps and gear box and steering box details and a bit more.

I'm trying to simply get started by understanding my Hillman.

Thanks,
Shawn

Last edited:

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
I have found 3 tags under the hood on the front of the radiator support. I believe the right tag of the other two is the vehicle ID. Left column from top down is "B" "57" "8" middle section has 1 set of numbers, "1326575 H" and third column has 2 sets "LUX" and "SB". Can someone help decipher this alpha numeric script? I cannot find the numbers which reference production build date.

The middle tag is very simple, a narrow tag with 1 set of characters. " MEFO 205196".

The left tag has all the Hillman Motor Car Co LTD Coventry England operating details such as engine temps and gear box and steering box details and a bit more.

I'm trying to simply get started by understanding my Hillman.

Thanks,
Shawn

Hi Shawn,

I'll try and help but I'm doing this from memory, no guarantees.

The tag with MEFO 205196 should be the body number when assembled by the body plant. Not really related to ID number.

The tag with the other numbers listed - B1326575 H LUX SB

B - decade of manufacture ('60's)

13 - model designation

26575 - production sequence number

57 & 8 - paint codes (two tone - two codes - 8 is "Foam White" I think)

(if the 57 is actually 53 then it would be "Wedgewood Blue")

H - high compression

L - left hand drive

U - body style (estate ?)

X - export

SB - sealed beam

I'm not sure how you can find the production date unless someone has researched and saved production numbers and dates for Super Minx production. There was a site that had some of this type of info but the link I had saved doesn't seem to work. I guess the Rootes Archive in the UK might have some data but I think you might have to be there in person to do research.

Now for a real question - does the ID number on the engine block match your ID tag number????

Last edited:

Shawn 63 Estate

Donation Time
OMG! Don, I have spotted a few numbers on the block. On passenger side, it is stamped, B 1326575 with HLUX just above it. This would be a confirmed match! On the other side of the block top above the headers is two stamps; one H3 and on other side of bolt is SC. Down below on the block and I can't quite see if any #'s preface this sequence, ...80880 E 30-5-63. Is this possibly a numbers matching Super Minx Estate? I feel like I just hit the lotto!

Thanks,
Shawn

Shawn 63 Estate

Donation Time
Don, also, you seem to be an encyclopedia on the Hillman Super Minx! Thank you for assisting me understanding my Estate. This is my second classic and my first Rootes/European vehicle. Hopefully I can one day help others and perhaps be an active participant in the SAOCA community.

Thanks,
Shawn

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Shawn,

LOL- thanks, but not really. It's just long exposure and the Rootes ID numbering system was mostly consistent in format until Chrysler UK re-arranged things. I really don't know much about the Super Minx except by relating it to Rootes Audax models in general. The only service manual I have that even mentions the S M is for a later version with 1725 cc engine. I will say this, I only remember seeing a couple of S M's, and never an estate.

The numbers you just posted include the block casting date - 30-5-63 - May 30, 1963.

Congratulations, it seems like you have a potentially very nice car. :cool:

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Here's a link to a list of Rootes VIN's from TE/AE. It seems to match one on an Aussie site.
The "13...." indicates a 1963 Mk II SuperMinx. Sometimes it helps to know it's not really a 1962 Mk I that was sold and titled in 1963. There isn't a final VIN or exact beginning and ending manufacture dates shown for the Mk II, so figuring out your car's exact born-on-date may be difficult to determine.

http://teae.org/chassis-codes-issued-for-hillman-vehicles/

Keeping an eye on eBay should yield choices of factory manuals, parts lists and a few NOS parts at reasonable prices.

Shawn 63 Estate

Donation Time
Great intel! Reminds me of an old quote by Ken Blanchard: "No one of us is as smart as all of us"

I'm really excited about how much information is available regarding this niche vehicle series.

Thanks,
Shawn

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
I'm really excited about how much information is available regarding this niche vehicle series.

Thanks,
Shawn

Shawn,

As you say, the S M is a niche series in this country, even among Rootes fans. I think you will find the most help and info in the UK, NZ, and "down under". There is a large amount of "low hanging fruit" due its generality and commonality - specifics not so much.

Try this link for some more details -

http://www.automobile-catalog.com/car/1963/1025690/hillman_super_minx_estate_car.html