• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

What parts are usefull?

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
A guy gave me an engine and trans from a "Barracuda Alpine". Supposedly running when removed, but that was many years ago. I'm pretty sure the block is a basic 1725. The front (cover, mounts etc) are not right. Is the head alloy? The intake is a single (broken Stromberg). Exhaust doesn't look familiar.

I imagine it has an all-syncro trans. Will it bolt up or are there length issues. Are any internal parts usefull if the box is wrong. Can I use parts from this trans and an OD early series to make an all-syncro OD box?

Free stuff is so great, one wants to use it.

Thanks

alpine_64

Donation Time
It sounds like an iron head motor if it's at a single Stromberg carb. The basic bottom end is useful but the mounts, timing cover and head/ cam are not what you want.

If you the bell housing and arm the gearbox can be used.. as for switching parts into an early box.. depends which parts....

65beam

Donation Time
parts

The gear box will not fit a series alpine due to a longer input shaft. the bell housing also will not work since it is deeper to fit in the later body. the single carb was used on the cast iron head engine. the block is usable in an alpine but not the cam. everything else including the starter won't work on a series alpine.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
The oil pan, if it is there, should be aluminum and they have some value - although not the $600-1000 that several eBay sellers have been trying to get. More like $150-250. If you pull it off the engine, be sure to save the long bolts in the back. They are impossible to find.

The only other unique part on the later engines I know of is the oil thrower that sits on the end of the crankshaft, just inside of the timing cover. The were deeper on the fastback Alpines to minimize oil leaks around the crankshaft damper.

65beam

Donation Time
usefull

The cast iron head engine did not use the aluminum oil pan. they had a stamped steel pan.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hillman,

Since the engine was given to you, I will guess the sump is not alloy. It might still be alloy. I once picked up an Arrow wagon with iron head and alloy sump because of a cracked block( common on later 1725 blocks ). I thought there might be more parts usable for my purposes than I found. :rolleyes:

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
No, the sump is stamped steel. I guess I have a block (minus cam) that may be usefull.\

Thanks all.

Last edited:

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
No, the sump is stamped steel. I guess I have a block (minus cam) that may be usefull.\

Thanks all.

Depends on if you want it for an Alpine or to use in a vehicle that originally used an iron head. If you were to install the front motor mount plate and earlier in/ex manifolds, the engine should be functional (might need a few tweaks) in an Audax body.

How's that off-brand engine working out for you in your Hillman? :D :eek: :D

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
If you mean the Alpine into Minx, it hasn't been my car for years. The current owner has managed to remove the Minx engine (I've got to get a few pics of the block with the rod hole). He hasn't got around to trying to fit the Alpine ngine. After all it's only 2 or 3 years.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
If you mean the Alpine into Minx, it hasn't been my car for years. The current owner has managed to remove the Minx engine (I've got to get a few pics of the block with the rod hole). He hasn't got around to trying to fit the Alpine engine. After all it's only 2 or 3 years.

Hillman,

Sorry, I had you confused with the gent who installed the Ford engine in his Hillman when I posted. I apologize for any confusion my comment may have caused you.

Installing the Alpine engine in the Minx isn't a real big challenge. Use the Minx engine mounts and modify the exhaust double down pipes back and down to clear the cross member and floor pan (this is because the Minx mounts the engine a couple of inches forward of the Alpine location). I'm not sure how Z-S side draft carbs would work in the Minx, but the single or dual down draft options should not be a problem.