• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Sunbeam 2000 build

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Heck yeah on the steering!
I'm wishing I had it on my Alpine. Modern power steering is so good it is unnoticeable. It also has changed the way we drive and I'm convinced allows us to avoid a lot of accidents. All this is not noticeable until you drive something like an Alpine.

Modern cars are able to maneuver in a way I cannot, even with the "little" tires. Especially in parking lots.

Bill

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Bill, The BritishV8 thread shows how you can put electric power steering in any car by splicing into the column. Top and bottom of column would be still Sunbeam.

http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?7,26986,page=2

Sunbeam versions:

http://catmbr.org/VB_forum/showthread.php?t=1746

Yeah, all I need is for someone to pull the engine and transmission! It has to come the bottom and there are a ton of things that have to be removed. Final assembly of the Duratec comes after the engine is installed.

Maybe when the engine has to come out for another reason.

Bill

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
It might be a bit simpler than.....

removing the engine.....

I will make a new Thread for what I've done so far with the Electric Power Steering modification to one of my Alpines.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
I hadn't thought of that name, you never know. After the long holiday weekend and weather permitting, I was able to get the rear subframe assembly out (held in by six long bolts) and the gas tank out of the Honda. This is the first time dealing with quick connect fuel lines and after seeing how they work have become a fan. The only things left are the engine, transmission and front suspension assembly so the shell can go bye-bye. Then the fun begins.

phyrman

SAOCA Secretary
Diamond Level Sponsor
Adding a small turbo on it, you can easily obtain just over 400hp gross!!
i was toying with doing this but the engines can be quite expensive
Good luck!!
Bruce

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
You are right, that will be an option. At the moment the numbers look pretty good. A 2000 lb Alpine with 240 hp that was in a 2800 lb car, like you said if I need more it can be easily gotten. I am so anxious to get the motor and trans out so I can get the shell out of here! Weather permitting, it will get done this weekend.

Ratical

Donation Time
Very impressive. I just brought home a 1962 Alpine yesterday. Still undecided but the S2000 eng. Has been a strong candidate. Best of luck and I will be following this post.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Congratulations on your 62, should be fun. A little update, it turns out Honda used a weak differential. The guys on the S2k forum complained about the darn thing breaking often even driving normal. So after some research I decided to go with a 1988-1993 Supra diff. The benefits are A) it is more compact so it shouldn't interfere with the spare tire well B) positraction C) 3:91 gear ratio will give me higher top end and better mileage. Next step is to cut and weld two engine stands to put the Alpine on a rotisserie so I can start fabricating the rear suspension. Now the fun begins.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Went to Harbor Freight and bought two engine stands and two farm jacks so I can build a rotisserie for the Sunbeam. Also stopped by the local metal supply store and got what I needed. Also took the rear sub frame apart to get the original third member out and make it lighter so I can manage to mock it up on the car.

Attachments

• 100_3607.jpg
    100_3607.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 98
  • 100_3608.jpg
    100_3608.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 125
  • Farm Jack.jpg
    Farm Jack.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 103

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Went to Harbor Freight and bought two engine stands and two farm jacks so I can build a rotisserie for the Sunbeam.

Interesting. I have seen engine stand rotisseries before but never one using farm jacks. Please post details of the rotisserie when you can. I will be very interested in seeing what and how you do.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
My concern would be what is the weight capacity and during rotation the ability to balance.

The rotisserie plans i utilized and have passed on to a lot of members cost me less than $500 and will handle heavier vehicles than the Alpines.

I have used mine with the complete Alpine, engine (SV and V6 Mutt) transmission(s) front assy (crossmember & wheels) Rear assy & wheels with rotates easily and has good balance with out fear of loosing or damaging the car.

I have even pulled and pushed mine fully loaded on a dirt road for a short distance. It has been utilized to haul the Alpine on a trailer to several shop for various work.

Works great!

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Interesting. I have seen engine stand rotisseries before but never one using farm jacks. Please post details of the rotisserie when you can. I will be very interested in seeing what and how you do.

I will post pics to show how to make it safe and functional. From what I have seen others do, they stress the importance of "tying" the two together.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I will post pics to show how to make it safe and functional. From what I have seen others do, they stress the importance of "tying" the two together.

I think it is essential the thing be tied together. I have one of the engine stands and being three wheeled, is very tippy. Also not very sturdy. I used it while assembling a Pinto 2.0 and it was okay. Loaned it to a guy to assemble a Ford 302 and it came back with a brace. He said it visibly sagged without the brace.

Bill

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Here is a PIC of one half of the rotisserie I use. It is tied/connected with square tubing between the two halfs that can be removed for storage.

It is a sturdy unit of which I do not worry of tipping in either direction.

DanR

Attachments

• DSC01350 (320x240).jpg
    DSC01350 (320x240).jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 115

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
I think it is essential the thing be tied together. I have one of the engine stands and being three wheeled, is very tippy. Also not very sturdy. I used it while assembling a Pinto 2.0 and it was okay. Loaned it to a guy to assemble a Ford 302 and it came back with a brace. He said it visibly sagged without the brace.

Bill
hey Bill,
There is absolutely nothing wrong with three wheels as long as you triangulate it for sturdiness and stregth. As you know the Alpine car itself is not very heavy, espeically without the motor, trans etc. I believe that the base does not need to be any wider then the body itself. I also want to be able to "move it around" once it is on the rotisserie. We have rain due for at least the next five days, so I will spend it making room in the shop for the car on the Rotisserie and start building it. Will update as I go and take lots of pictures in case anyone else wants to do this.
Thanks

Last edited: