• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Pulling V8 and Trans Out

Cobralee1

Donation Time
Can I get some help on whether or not I'm able to pull the V8 and trans out of the Tiger from the top? I've heard stories where it might have to come out of the bottom instead.

Thanks

alpine_64

Donation Time
Workshop manual says out the top.... If you've seen the pictures you need a lot of clearance height and you need a crane.... Much chance of body damage and personal injury.... Out the bottom and s safer, faster and easier.

Cat newsletter had a great write up on it and duke also posted a time lapse on YouTube of the process.

Billm

Gold Level Sponsor
Engine removal

I have taken my engine out several times from the bottom. Loved Dukes video!
I put 200 lbs of weight in the trunk( sand bags). I also put several pieces of wood under the rear wheels to raise the back up a little. I picked up an engine stand that I bolt to the motor mounts instead of the floor dolly. Picked it up at Speedway Motors. Less chance of tipping over. See attached photo. Bill

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 124

Cobralee1

Donation Time
Pulling the V8 Out

Thanks Billm for the information. That seems to be the most common mode to pull the motor out.

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
I have taken my engine out several times from the bottom. Loved Dukes video!
I put 200 lbs of weight in the trunk( sand bags). I also put several pieces of wood under the rear wheels to raise the back up a little. I picked up an engine stand that I bolt to the motor mounts instead of the floor dolly. Picked it up at Speedway Motors. Less chance of tipping over. See attached photo. Bill

Glad to see I'm not the only one who's pictures end upside down once in awhile
Always dropped the motor and tranny from the botttom

Billm

Gold Level Sponsor
Engine photo

My IPad flips,the photo. I will start taking the photos upside down!

mikephillips

Donation Time
One tip for reinstalling when you're at that point, Since the front suspension must come out to remove/install from the bottom, when reinstalling the crossmember drop a couple long screwdrivers in the holes in the engine compartment. makes it much easier to line up the holes with the crossmember as you're not crawling around trying to see where everything is. Then once you have a bolt loosely in each side, pull them and install the other two.

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
crossmember

Re: the comment of using screwdrivers to align the cross member, how
about using studs that's what we did on our Tiger, you can make them from
grade 8 all thread available from Mc Master Carr if you have a Tiger thread them all the way thru and use a jam nut on top to keep them in place.
If you have an Alpine maybe some thread locker.

Cobralee1

Donation Time
Pulling the V8 Out

Thanks for the helpful tips. We'll start this weekend and will provide how the progress is going.

Ron

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Fonz, Duke was the former CAT forum guy . It's a youtube video . There's also a companion thread where we discussed the soundtrack.

As for the long screwdriver method that's helpful. What'd be nice is a plan for a boot to fit the jack and balancing jig for the front end.

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
I've now had the engine (302) IN/OUT of the car 6 times in 1 day, FROM THE TOP. I made 1.5" holes in the trans tunnel to get at the bell housing bolts. the trans "tunnel" is designed with extra room in certain places to make disconnecting things easier. Taking it out the bottom seems to be an awful lot of extra work. I am NOT looking for "Originality" in Any Way,(couldn't care less about if it looks original). As far as I know, they never made a '63 tiger. And no, I'm Not going to "tag it" as a Tiger. LOL

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Just to be clear you can play Frank Sinatra and do it your way without any gripes for any of us. However they did make a Sunbeam Alpine/Tiger prototype out of a finned car. I've got a pretty killer picture of a model laying across the back of one of the prototypes.