• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Nissan in Alpine

bashby

Donation Time
The rear axle and housing from Currie are an exact fit to the dimensions I specified however, I noticed when I was installing it that the left upper link on my triangulated 4-link was tearing the 47-year old metal along the "sub-frame" weld (where the mount was welded to the rail). I will be patching reinforcing the areas and going to a sleeved and bolted attachment point before putting the car on the road again. As this part of the uni-body was not meant to carry this type of load it is my error for not doing it this to begin with. Hope to have this done by mid-June. This helped exaggerate the axle offset but never-the-less it would have been eventually replaced as it was on the list (it always leaked, I know that British cars like to mark their territory but... I do not regret making the 4-link in any way, it improves the ride, handling and shaves 50# off the rear of the car (besides being adjustable and aligned properly).

Last edited:

bashby

Donation Time
I have the rear "sub frame" repaired from where the upper links on the triangulated 4-link tore/ripped the metal; it should be quite robust and never be an issue again! :) the rails were patched and then reinforced with 11ga. steel, the bar is 1"DOM steel.

Attachments

• 4-link_reinforced_subframe-1.jpg
    4-link_reinforced_subframe-1.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 102
  • 4-link_reinforced_subframe-2.jpg
    4-link_reinforced_subframe-2.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 86

bashby

Donation Time
As there was already some wear on the lower 4-link control arms I decided to make them a little more robust. I have gone with LRD 108512 for the forward rod ends (using the forward leaf spring attachment points), PPM3418 (3/4" 18" long) Suspension tubes and QA1 XMR8-12 for the heim joints (attached to a U-bolt brackets on the rear axle). The QA1's have a rod end static load capacity of 32,457 pounds.

bashby

Donation Time
This shows the comparison of old vs. new, the "wobble" was due to the fact that the old front mounts were not sleeved.

Attachments

• Lower_Control_Arm_Comparison.jpg
    Lower_Control_Arm_Comparison.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 65

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
It appears the new rod utilizes a thick rubber bushing with a steel liner. I can understand how that would be desirable as it would ease impact pressures on the attachment point.

As near as I can determine, this is the first mention of "wobble". Is it in reference to car movement? If so, I do not see how a rubber bushing would cure that problem, as the overall result would be a decoupling of the car from the axle and if anything, making the situation worse.

Bill

bashby

Donation Time
Bill, the "wobble" was noticable only if I removed the rear mount which would then permit me to move the lower control arm side-to-side at the forward mount (forward leaf spring mounting point), completely bolted into the car I could not move it. The replacement assembly is much more stout and if anything makes me feel better (even though the car "only" weighs 2500#).

Last edited:

bashby

Donation Time
Really like the look of Prestige Auto Wood dashboards. Anyone have experience with them? Thinking Rosewood... one reason is that I do not have and OEM heater, I have a Vintage Air unit which does not use the "sliders".

bashby

Donation Time
As I am considering a wood dashboard, deleting the heater control sliders and adding a clock (therefore 4-gauges in the center, Water Temp, Boost, Fuel and Clock), any inputs as to whether they should be 4-across (Randy has done this previously) or stagger them 2-high and 2-low say 45 degrees?
The attached photos show them in-line and another is a TR6 dash (this is the wood I am considering) and as in the TR6 dash this is what I call staggered except I figure to stagger them in the same direction \ \
Suggestions?

Attachments

• African Rosewood - kewazinga grain - TR6 (73-74) 006 (3).jpg
    African Rosewood - kewazinga grain - TR6 (73-74) 006 (3).jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 37
  • Group 2 246.jpg
    Group 2 246.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
This is what I did, I needed a radio :D
DSCN2149-XL.jpg

DSCN1653-XL.jpg

DSCN2317-XL.jpg

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Very Nice!

I like it! Very nice and neat, arranged very good also.

Hope you enjoy for years to come,

Asm109

Donation Time
I love my prestige autowood dash in the Tiger.

He will do custom work for you, just ask. I had him make the clock opening the same size as all the other small gauges.

I run an oil temp gauge in that hole.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Really like the look of Prestige Auto Wood dashboards. Anyone have experience with them? Thinking Rosewood... one reason is that I do not have and OEM heater, I have a Vintage Air unit which does not use the "sliders".

What Vintage Air Unit are you utilizing in your car?

Does it have both the Heat and the A/C unit combined?

I have an earlier model Vintage Heat and A/C unit in my SV with the 1725.

Looking for a new unit with H&A for the GT I'm converting to 2.8 V6.

bashby

Donation Time
Dan,
The Vintage Air unit is # 50616-VUZ it is Heat only as I have no room under the bonnet for AC.

Last edited:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Single unit with Heat &A/C

Thanks Bashby, The reason I asked was I figured (and figured wrongly) you were utilizing the single unit for Heat & A/C.

I'm working on trying to get a better design for my '65 SIV GT that is getting the 2.8 V6,

Working on a mount bracket that can be used for the A/C Compressor.

bashby

Donation Time
As you can see, absolutely no room (even though I have (unfortunately) removed the AccuSump)

Attachments

• IMG_0241.jpg
    IMG_0241.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 131

bashby

Donation Time
Took the car to a Tune and Dyno (Sean at Solid Tech) 251RWHP and 251Lb-Ft Torque. Previously my peak HP (238HP) was at 6800RPM and now it is at 6400RPM (factory redline is ~7400RPM, motor built to take ~8500RPM). HP & TQ cross at 5250RPM with peak TQ at 5000RPM. This was a 4th (1:1) gear pull with 90 octane pump gas at 5300'asl. Setting the rev limiter to 7k. Drives very well, idles smooth and pulls :):D
The previously mentioned "stutter" is gone, think it was caused by spark plug gap (too much), A/F ratio and fuel quality.

Last edited:

bashby

Donation Time
Out for a drive the other day, a guy pulls up and says "nice Tiger" to which I replied "actually it is an Alpine" to which he replied well those are more rare! I said well actually they made about 20-times more Alpines' and he said well I do not know that much about Triumphs...

Last edited:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Heading Home....

I get a kick out of guys that "THINK" MY '67 sv aLPINE IS A tIGER JUST BECAUSE IT HAS DUALS.

They usually pull up next to me at a stop light or the pumps and say Nice Tiger" or ask if it is a Tiger.

Most ask "What kind of car is that?" An MG? or some other more common type of sports car;)

I love to say it's "A Sunbeam Alpine made in the UK"....

It as a 4 cylinder engine that runs like a @3$#%++*, But just wait until you see the V6 by DanR:D

Stay Tuned they are coming,