• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Front Shocks

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
Shocks

Chuck: We used Konis on the first Tiger, were now using QA1's if your clever
(which you are}you'll talk to them and you will probably find what you need
they are also Carrera by the way.

Joel

jimfai

Donation Time
what would the qa1 part number be? i replaced the spax i had last year with monroes but would like an upgrade thanks

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
shocks

We're using QA1's coil overs what I would do is talk to their tech people
(pretty informative) and source a front/rear shock by the travel and the body
I did this for an Alpine guy way back and seems as if a different bushing was needed for the fronts to get the spacing correct on the bottom, you can use
the coil overs with the stock stuff they have a pin top deal that replaces the
normal top mount all this depends on what you want to do, we did this on our V8 Alpine opens up lots of spring options.

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Chuck: We used Konis on the first Tiger, were now using QA1's if your clever
(which you are}you'll talk to them and you will probably find what you need
they are also Carrera by the way.

Joel

Thanks Joel
Checked them out.A little pricey for me right now.

jimfai

Donation Time
a coilover style? so are you removing the springs than? are they fully adjustable height coilovers?

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
Shocks

Chuck, your right about being pricey, but Koni's or something similar are in the same category, jimfai yes to that question, we did a few tweaks to make this work for us but the end result was worth the effort.

BlackDog

Silver Level Sponsor
I used QA1 coil overs for a Mustang II ... MS3375

I built a new stronger lower mount ( 3/16" ) with the cross bolt hole 1/2" lower than stock

The top of the spring fits right in the donut as they are the same diameter as a Sunbeam.
I've been real happy with the setup and I also get adjustable ride height as a bonus!

Jim
B382000446

Attachments

• DSCF0041.jpg
    DSCF0041.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 121
  • DSCF0045.jpg
    DSCF0045.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 110

alpine_64

Donation Time
I have spax adjustable on both the alpine and tiger, they are decent shocks for the money. While they are not rebuildable like the koni's the price of a koni rebuild is about the same as another pair of the spax.

Hodee

Donation Time
I used QA1 coil overs for a Mustang II ... MS3375

I built a new stronger lower mount ( 3/16" ) with the cross bolt hole 1/2" lower than stock

The top of the spring fits right in the donut as they are the same diameter as a Sunbeam.
I've been real happy with the setup and I also get adjustable ride height as a bonus!

Jim
B382000446
At 10 o'clock from the rubber bump stop, what is that hex nut attached to? Thanks for all the help.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
At 10 o'clock from the rubber bump stop, what is that hex nut attached to? Thanks for all the help.

Pretty sure that hex-nut is part of the fastener that retains the "clamp" for the outer / back end of the anti-roll bar.

Hodee

Donation Time
I'm going to throw this out there to all the suspension gurus. I know the early Camaro shocks are a good fit to the Ser V Alpine, especially if stock right height is ok. So... has anyone ever mounted a shock with a t-bar lower mount to the "top side" of the lower A-arm by pressing out the studs and replacing with grade 8 bolts. I know the lower A arm has a " circular raised lip" for added strength, but that 1/4 inch space could be taken up with washers or a spacer.
Why do I ask this? Because going with a coil over setup puts much more strain on the lower mount due to the spring and shock in a combined single point. Mounting it above the A-arm may share the load a bit better with very little change in geometry. Thoughts? Please don't slam the inquisitive process. thx.

BlackDog

Silver Level Sponsor
I think mounting it on top would greatly limit the length of spring that you could use on a coil over setup. I believe the a arm itself is VERY strong if you look closely at the way it's stamped. I used grade 8 3/8" bolts as in the pics and I can't believe they could ever pull through... a testament to that is I've had my setup installed for about 9 years/ 10k miles and have autocrossed a few times with way more hp/tire etc. than stock . Looking at the pic of the stock shock mount, I think it could be reinforced quite easily actually by adding weld and maybe heavy washers on the mounting hole sides. Stock material looks to be about 1/8" and the ones I made were done out of 3/16"IMG_0160.jpg DSCF0037.JPG IMG_1373.JPG

BlackDog

Silver Level Sponsor
BTW, I think the factory used studs for the shock mount so they wouldn't turn when removing the bracket as in the stock setup it's pretty much impossible to get at the top with the spring there!! I didn't know how strong those stock studs would be ( grade 5 ?? ) and changing them out gave me a chance to have a wider bearing surface where it takes the weight on the a arm