• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

steering wheels

Harrington Jan

Donation Time
Berndt, the pre owner of your car comes from Belgium and the Sabra club is located in Belgium so I guess there are many Sabras in Belgium too.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
That would make sense. When googling for Sabre I found several belgian registered cars. Only 153 cars or so built. Are you in touch with the club ? If yes I'ld be ready to sell my steering wheel . I am keen believer that parts should always return to their original designation. Will never put it on my HLM anyway...

P.S. My theory for the thumb recessed version is for very early HLM (Sabre) cars only. Perhaps the recesses weakened the already weak spoke sections further so that the idea got dropped during production...

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Wow that was quick. Superb article with lots of pictures. Somewhat confirming my theory about the thumb recesses. At least there's a good summary now and no more guesswork. The only open part is who actualy manufactured the carlotti wheels ? Haven't found any clue yet but appears "Made in UK" with Carlotti stickers applied. It' s all about Marketing isn't t ?...

Harrington Jan

Donation Time
Wow that was quick. Superb article with lots of pictures. Somewhat confirming my theory about the thumb recesses. At least there's a good summary now and no more guesswork. The only open part is who actualy manufactured the carlotti wheels ? Haven't found any clue yet but appears "Made in UK" with Carlotti stickers applied. It' s all about Marketing isn't t ?...

Ask Zan he lives in UK too, but who cares. Probably the same builder of all.

65beam

Donation Time
wheels

jan,
I'm a little confused. you say that with the introduction of the lemans in 1961 that they went from a slotted to a non slotted and you say this was used in all lemans. or are you saying that the non slotted was replaced with the slotted spokes? I have three lemans with carlotti wheels. I know that two are the original wheels and the other car that ian had came with a wheel that appears to be a reproduction. they all have slots cut in the spokes. did we get different wheels here in the states?

Last edited:

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
I've been off on a car enthusiast's holiday to come back to a lively revived discussion on the Harrington steering wheels. All of you are great. I especially enjoyed your article Jan. That being said, my only contribution would be regarding my USA promotional HLM. Thus, no special order from an owner with my HLM. It just came with what the "powers to be" thought would be best to sell HLMs in the USA. My HLM has a slotted/no thumb recess Carlotti steering wheel. Also, when I had the sticker off there wasn't any LL underneath.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Jan,

great article and good research. Its great to see someone goin'g into the details and doing proper reserach to try and untangle what was used and when.. hats off to you for documenting this sort of thing.

Harrington Jan

Donation Time
Nice update Jan,

Here's a link showing some LL variants and lots of others besides. It's not impossible to think most came out of the same factory. You could even have a 15" LL with Stirling Moss' signature engraved on ... got to be worth extra £££'s !!

http://mk1-performance-conversions.co.uk/steering_wheel_archive.htm

I found it too and read all 16 pages. The best was the last pic, a slottered Carlotti with thumb grips. Most of the answers came from Mike Lempert.

65beam

Donation Time

Jeff Howarth

Donation Time
I can confirm this from my C type which had the Carlotti sticker over the Les Leston logo - it also had Stirling Moss signature engraved into it !!

All H's had woodrimmed Carlotti wheels.
The 'Carlotti' was just a sticker over the LL :)
if you're brave enough to look underneath .... :D
It's sounds exotic so charge the mugs some more !!