• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Radiator Options

gwhitf2927

Gold Level Sponsor
My Radiator shop wants $700+ to recore my series IV radiator with copper! Needless to say I am reviewing my options. Can anyone tell me what aftermarket radiator to use? Has anyone used a brass core? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Obscenely expensive, but might be reasonable given the cost of copper has gone up astronomically. Had mine done for about $300 about 10 years ago.

agmason54

Donation Time
I have never seen a bad alpine radiator unless a wrench got dropped in to it. I know an guy near me who spent big bucks on a fancy radiator and now his car won't even come up to temperature. I told him to put some carboard in front of of it. If your car runs hot I doubt if it is the radiators fault but that is just my experience..
agm

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I don't know... that may depend on where you live. My engine was in pretty good shape and with good coolant, but in heavy traffic - or more often, when I'm in a parade with the car - it would overheat. After I added a thicker radiator that decreased significantly, though it still gets pretty dang warm in a hot July 4th parade.

Robbo

Donation Time
Way too much money. Cores alone don't cost close to that much. I had a re-cored rad two core, but thicker and more fins (88% efficient), installed the electric fan and I've had no problems. All in, less than $350. While you're at a more reasonable rad shop, have them also check out the heater core. Mine was filthy and leaking just a bit. A good checked out core will also help out in the long run. Good luck!

whoizrob

Donation Time
My old post...

I did a post a few months ago on a griffin radiator I found which is pretty much the same dimensions as the stocker and the outlets are in the same locations. I havent been able to buy it yet due to some pretty tight finances but the cost is right around $300. Only catch is you may want to buy the one without a filler neck and do an inline filler on the upper hose. It might be an option to consider.

Rob

gwhitf2927

Gold Level Sponsor
I don't know... that may depend on where you live. My engine was in pretty good shape and with good coolant, but in heavy traffic - or more often, when I'm in a parade with the car - it would overheat. After I added a thicker radiator that decreased significantly, though it still gets pretty dang warm in a hot July 4th parade.

You mentioned a thicker radiator to resolve your overheating problems. This sounds like the route I want to go as central Virginia gets very hot and humid in the summer. Can you tell me what radiator you used?

Thanks.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
You mentioned a thicker radiator to resolve your overheating problems. This sounds like the route I want to go as central Virginia gets very hot and humid in the summer. Can you tell me what radiator you used?

Thanks.

Actually, I just had a local radiator shop build it for me. They took a thicker core and adapted my stock header and bottom tanks to it, so the look is completely stock. You'd never know the difference unless you measured the thickness of the core. I did the same thing to my Triumph Renown as it, too, had problems in parades.

Sunbeam-and-Triumph.jpg

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hmm.. yeah, looks like that radiator is out of a Ford Falcon or similar... it has Ford's classically scalloped top tank. I'll bet it didn't cool very well, though, give the huge gaps on either side!

As to value.. well.. it does have a factory radio setup, so it's at least worth $500. It has a factory cigar lighter, too, and cleaned up that would pull around $100. Despite its surface-rusty appearance, it seems to be a largely cancer and dent-free bucket, so it may do as a potential body-swap for a substantially rusted-out car. Further, it has a rather interesting Rootes-related (or is that Volkswagen??) emblem in the centre of the fascia (dash). It also has a *very* unusual homemade single Zenith-Stromberg carburettor setup in the boot... never saw one of those before... and an early down-draught manifold in there as well, atop the pile in the boot. I'd give it a value of around $1,700.

whoizrob

Donation Time
Fwiw...

After months of saving my pennies I finally bought the Griffin radiator I had mentioned in an earlier post. They need to build it up and it should be here in about two or so weeks. I should be able to do a small write up on its suitability as a replacement radiator. At $299 with just tabs to be welded up for mounting it could be a good option. More info to come...

Rob

Bikesandfires

Donation Time
The owner of this car seemed to have found a radiator option:

Not to hijack this thread, but I wonder how much will be bid for this car just to get the radio?

21 bids....$456.00 Wayyyy more then scrap metal brings...the buyer must have seen SOMETHING he needed....lol

whoizrob

Donation Time
Nope.

Griffin I linked to a while back. Same dimensions, no tank fill, will do an inline filler. Only tight spot may be the lower rad hose.

Rob

whoizrob

Donation Time
Good News!

The radiator and a few associated bits came in the mail today. Radiator looks FANTASTIC, looks like she will fit WITHOUT modification. Only thing I will do for my application is drill out the upper bung and retap it for my thermostat which will drive the Derale adjustable fan controller.

Will post pictures in a few hours when I am at my home computer and can resize the pictures...

A possible plug and play radiator for our cars, exciting stuff!

Rob

whoizrob

Donation Time
pictures...

As promised... I'll update as I make more progress.

Rob

PS. the four posts on the end tanks are mounting bosses, the upper bung is where the temp sensor will go. The lower "feet" will be cut off. The lower right outlet clears the engine mounts no problem. Derale thermo sensor kit is fully adjustable and comes with a relay. I will be using an inline fill to alleviate hood clearance issues.

On the "still need to do list": make mounting brackets, buy radiator hoses and cut to size, buy nifty heat shrink hose clamps, retap bung for 3/8 NPT

Attachments

• 20121015_122603.jpg
    20121015_122603.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 92
  • 20121015_122917.jpg
    20121015_122917.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 108
  • 20121015_132904.jpg
    20121015_132904.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 90

Paul N.

Donation Time
My Radiator shop wants $700+ to recore my series IV radiator with copper! Needless to say I am reviewing my options. Can anyone tell me what aftermarket radiator to use? Has anyone used a brass core? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

IIRC the tubes were brass and the fins copper.