• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Harrington LM project

alpine_64

Donation Time
Saw this on ebay UK... BIG project.. i wonder if the seller knows how different the S3 body is from a SII.. i guess it depends how correct the owner wants the car.., the boot/rear floor pans/suspension would offer advantages over the SII setup the LM would have had, but you will still be working out the front screen swap and its a large project..

i'd hazard a guess all the woodwork on the LM is shot to.. so will likely have to find someone to fabricate that... hopefully its still ok for a pattern

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sunbeam-A...7293488?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3a6d073ab0

65beam

Donation Time
project

i've seen at least two as bad or worse over the years. all it takes is a good donor body and some cutting. it would be difficult to use anything but a series 1 or 2 body due the floor of the rear hatch area and also the door windows. but anything can be done.

napa 1

Donation Time
I have the perfect sII body waiting for a sad HLM such as this one. Would love to get this one over to CA.

Harrington Jan

Donation Time
John beware,
The roof is cracked around the hinges for rear door, probably more than we can see, the hinges are probably gone too. The dash and seats are worth saving though.

65beam

Donation Time
project

it's really hard to see much of the original wedgewood blue paint! does anyone know the history of this car?

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
This project was on Ebay UK some years before. However and appearantly it was stored in the open and now unfortunately it got even worse...

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
P.S. The hinges can be repaired though as well as the rear quadrants (hatch stays) as can be seen with my project:

Attachments

• Hatch open.JPG
    Hatch open.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 68
  • Scharnier neu.jpg
    Scharnier neu.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 63

barringtonderby

Donation Time
HLM project

I went for a look last Sunday and met a guy called Al who deals in Americana and knows his stuff

The car is terrible - would like fall apart if you tried to move it

The donor car is not great - floor pans look rusty and no doubt all the usual Stuff will need doing plus it's the wrong back end, doors, windscreen rake etc...

I thought my project car was bad but this one takes the biscuit

Andrew

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Just to brake out a bit from our winter depression (UK must be even worse than Germany at the moment)...

Does anybody know where this wreck ended up finally ?

Last edited:

napa 1

Donation Time
Wow, and I thought my car was a project! (btw It's lovely and warm and sunny here in California...)

65beam

Donation Time
project

john,
you had the advantage of buying a project from a guy that spent many years in the sunbeam parts business when he could still buy from a rootes/ chrysler warehouse. that means your body already had a lot of new panels installed. think what it would have been if you had to replace panels. i have a situation now where ian had started the restoration of the RHD car and our body man is removing all of the filler,etc that had been started prior to us buying it and will be back to bare metal again. he won't attempt to work on something someone else started.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Great ! The Harrington community springs back into life :))

Yep. Compared to the wreck your project was an easy go. By the way you must be close to take her out for a first ride....

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Complete projects are getting scarce. You need to have patience. A friend of mine still has 2 complete HLM roofs over here ...

valueextra

Bronze Level Sponsor
the roof aint much use without the rest of it .suppose i could turn it upside down and use it as a sledge in the snow here

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
True, despite a few bits and pieces would come with it. The rest would be refabrication which is not such a big deal if you know what you are doing.

If not the roof would at least offer sledging in style :D

napa 1

Donation Time
All done Bernd! I 'm getting it ready to fire up for the first time this weekend. I had to order a new rubber for the rear hatch window, as the one that came with the car was defective...so when that arrives on Monday, the back window will go in which is the final piece of the puzzle! :D

I'll keep you posted.