• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Close ratio box info needed

Limey

Donation Time
Hi all,

Can you give me a quick run down of the gearbox options for series 1-5s.

I have been offered a 'very rare,close ratio' gearbox and have no idea if it is correct. According to the vendor it was only available on S3 (or a 5) I can't remember exactly which he said.

Ta!

Oliver

RootesRacer

Donation Time
The SIII had the close ratio non-sync.

If you look closely though at the ratios, the SV all-sync has similar ratios but in a better transmission.

alpine_64

Donation Time
oliver,

Jarrid is correct in the S3 had the C/R box. He is also correct in that the SV box has ratios that arent that far off the S3 with the advantage of all-syncro so no vintage whine in 1st gear.

Is this for your SII or Harrington?

Limey

Donation Time
Not for the Harrington, just can't resist something Alpine and rare.

He also offered me a pair of seats that he says where only sold on 30 Series 3s before changing to the seats most usually seen. They are squarish and have a square cover plate with one truncated corner either side where the back meets the seat and appear adjustable. Any confirmation of this guys claim?

Appreciated

Oliver

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor

He also offered me a pair of seats that he says where only sold on 30 Series 3s before changing to the seats most usually seen. They are squarish and have a square cover plate with one truncated corner either side where the back meets the seat and appear adjustable. Any confirmation of this guys claim?

Appreciated

Oliver

There are two types of Series 3 seats - an early and a late. I've never found any documentation as to when they made the switch, but the early type has the lower cushion in three separate pieces - one each side and the center. At some point in Series 3 production they switched to one combined piece for the lower pad, resulting in an easier to produce, and probably cheaper, seat.

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
See attached. I put this together while researching the Sebring cars.

Hi all,

Can you give me a quick run down of the gearbox options for series 1-5s.

I have been offered a 'very rare,close ratio' gearbox and have no idea if it is correct. According to the vendor it was only available on S3 (or a 5) I can't remember exactly which he said.

Ta!

Oliver

Attachments

• Transmission Gear Ratios.doc
    11.4 KB · Views: 28

alpine_64

Donation Time

Appreciated

Oliver

Oliver, the early cars on the S3 did have different lower seat cushions as scott described. I would say that there were more than 30 cars fitted with them as shown in the pics bellow, but the ones you mention may be diffferent again.. and i would not know how to avrify the numbers claim.

i posted these a few years back when i first notice the difference in the S3 seats while reseraching early S3's for a friends car, I think these seats are generally found on the twin zenith S3 models.

S3 seats:

SIV/Tiger MKI seats:

comparison:

alpine_64

Donation Time
Oliver,

Are these the seats?
$(KGrHqMOKjUE1nBUinUVBNhk)Qzs6w~~_12.JPG
$(KGrHqMOKn!E1S8gw,(VBNhk)Mdbcw~~_12.JPG

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUNBEAM-A...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c1cf904c2

I have seen this guy selling many parts on ebay.uk for the last 6 months, claiming all to be rare and many to be "harrington" and "tiger" parts. IIRC mny of the parts were from a SIVGT shell the seller had and a "barn find" harrington.

These are the early style S3 setas i have shown in the pictures bellow, you can see how the drivers side seat (UK drivers) has colapsed where the seperate thigh support cushion is, this is probably the reason microcell began to incorperate the thigh supprt as a single squab to stop this happening. I guess its liek the seperate rear squab on the S3/IV.. while its more comfortable its more costly to make and ultimately the fact that its loose leads it to seperate earlier than a single peice.

Limey

Donation Time
The vey ones! Are they rare? Worth £250?. A bit of history or a bit of junk

Many thanks

Oliver

alpine_64

Donation Time
The vey ones! Are they rare? Worth £250?. A bit of history or a bit of junk

Many thanks

Oliver

Rare yes.. but not only 30 cars.. i think quite a few more than that. Worth saving? you will have to have the bottom squabs made with the original as the pattern (though the passenger seat looks a good candidiate) you can get the rear squabs from the suppliers as they are the same S3/IV style spit type backrest available.

As for 250GBP.. i wouldn't pay that as the ebay aution has them for 175 and thats the 3rd time they have been advertised there with that as an opening bid without resreve. The other thing is which car are you going to put them in? You harrington would have had the fixed back bucket seats by micorcell and the optinal microcells for the SII will be the same as the harringtons.. they are really only for a correct early S3 car.. that said.. a nice set would be novel... if you can be bothered with the hastle.

Limey

Donation Time
Not for my HA or S2. I am negotiating for a pair of Microcell seats (bucket type) as we speak for them.

No, I just though that if these where worth it I'd take a punt and have them refurbed at the same time and sell them on to an interested S3 owner.

Many tahnsk for the good info.

Oliver

Limey

Donation Time
Seats

Hi Michael,

Japan? Well discovered. TRhanks for the shots I'll addthem to the 'archive' for future reference. Any thoughts on the soft top?

All the best,

Oliver

alpine_64

Donation Time
Hi Michael,

Japan? Well discovered. TRhanks for the shots I'll addthem to the 'archive' for future reference. Any thoughts on the soft top?

All the best,

Oliver

Oliver,

I didnt find the japan cars (its in a nother thread.. 2 of them a RHD S3 and LHD SII) infat the S3 is a very nice looking car wiht many original features and a few personalisations. However the early S3 seats did jump out at me given the recent discussion.

As for the soft top.. yes still interested.. will e-mail.

AlpineII

Donation Time
Paul,
I was going to say my Series 3, more than 30, also has the early seats but you've got me beat! :eek: